Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
its better to silicone the tiles or slates if your going to use them
but if you can cut them to size to sit flush or even maybe a little
tight in the tank you wont have a problem, but thats the thing not
every one can cut them perfectly to fit the inside. if not your going
to be taking them out every week so you can vac up all the junk
and debris. and one of these days your going chip/scratch or crack
your tank. seen it happen multiple times...

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
but all he has to do is ift the tiles out and siphon during WC. If he does once a week, won't be enough nitrate build-up to any ill-effect
The point of doing slate bottom for less for less maintain, if you have to take it out each time then I would just stick with gravel or sand :p

Reactions: Lady Sphinx

demler

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2014
michigan
I've tried it. Like the look but like said above if they aren't sealed gunk will settle under them. And pulling them out is more of a pain than just vacuuming the bottom. I went back to sand.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The point of doing slate bottom for less for less maintain, if you have to take it out each time then I would just stick with gravel or sand :p
I've tried it. Like the look but like said above if they aren't sealed gunk will settle under them. And pulling them out is more of a pain than just vacuuming the bottom. I went back to sand.
that's just called "being lazy" :p

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
If you have small tank then it's not a big deal but think about take out and place it back in for 8x2x2 tank, you should do that then tell me how you would feel each week.
....Maybe but I see it as energy efficiency lol.
yep, we enjoy our hobby but when it's become you have to WORK for your hobby then it's not a hobby anymore, it's become a JOB or SLAVE for your hobby lol...I think I works enough to keep thing running in real life so I want less work and enjoy more for my hobby :)

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
no its being efficient. we want to enjoy our tanks and hobby with minimal
maintenance and efforts or it becomes a chore where simple up keep of
the tank every week becomes a drag and dont want to do it ruining the
hobby.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
yep, we enjoy our hobby but when it's become you have to WORK for your hobby then it's not a hobby anymore, it's become a JOB or SLAVE for your hobby lol...I think I works enough to keep thing running in real life so I want less work and enjoy more for my hobby :)
So true Yuki, but for some reason I find the odd wc and gravel cleaning relaxing. My dad who also use to have a fish tank in the hay day thinks that's the prove of me being nuts.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
buncha pansies. Get up and do some work, Ladies. I got more health problems than you could believe for a 36 year old and i'll still run circles around all ya'll

That's the problem w/ this World. No one knows what a hard day of physical labor feels like

Reactions: Bandit87
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store