For Sale 20 inch Yamabuki Ogon Koi

Lookingforcooter

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2019
You kinda have 2 options. Do what is best for the fish and give him to someone who is equipped to take care of him, or make it about money, try and sell it and in all likelihood the fish will die, and both you and the fish will lose.

If this koi were properly conditioned, someone may buy it for 100 bucks but your best bet in the interest of the animal is to rehome it to someone that can take care of it. That $100 is the biggest maybe I can possible express, and even as it sits, is not worth that. These fish should never be in aquariums and the fact that this guy has been for 2 years basically is going to take away any value it may have as a pond fish because it is likely to have issues later on in life, and at the very minimum, will have to be reconditioned after being kept in inadequate conditions for so long.

All that being said, we are here to help you in any way we can, and if you have more questions, let us know!
i wouldnt say getting $100 for the koi is impossible. we all know if a koi this size was being sold at the local shop they would have slapped a $300 price tag on it at least. so many stores overcharge for basic run of the mill koi. he just needs to connect with the other koi ppl and they can negotiate from there.

Reactions: KoiFIshKing

ptgabrys

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hey thanks I appreciate the input, take him off my hands as in for free? I'll possibly get on the koi forum to see the best pond to build for him.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to insult you at all by saying this, but yes I mean for free. I'm not particularly looking to add more koi at the moment, as I'm saving for some particular Japanese imports. However, regardless of this fish being raised in tanks, it is still a beautiful fish and it would absolutely thrive in my pond. If you are committed to keeping it however, I'd be happy to house it temporarily until you get your pond in order. I'd also be happy yo assist you in building your pond. I spent 3 years building mine and can give you all the dos and don'ts and assist you with picking the right equipment. I'd be happy to talk further and send you pictures/videos of the process I went through. If you're interested you can text me @2673150338

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
While it’s true it’s not a Japanese koi with a pedigree and certificate from a known farm, I think people are being too harsh. No one is going to pay $1200 for this koi but there are plenty of people with koi ponds that aren’t collectors who would pay $300 for a large koi over 15”.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I agree with P phreeflow . Connect with some koi peeps, and negotiate from there. Start with a high price; 400. Stores online sell run-of-the-mill koi like that for 1200 dollars, but they spend quite a bit of time selling. In the meantime, get a 200-gallon stock pond. Toss him in, and he will be happy. Good luck with selling!

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I agree with P phreeflow . Connect with some koi peeps, and negotiate from there. Start with a high price; 400. Stores online sell run-of-the-mill koi like that for 1200 dollars, but they spend quite a bit of time selling. In the meantime, get a 200-gallon stock pond. Toss him in, and he will be happy. Good luck with selling!
If you have a store selling a run of the mill koi for $1200, you need a new store. Again a lot of these situations are also considering properly housed and conditioned koi, not a tank kept fish in serious need of a more appropriate environment.

Lookingforcooter

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2019
If you have a store selling a run of the mill koi for $1200, you need a new store. Again a lot of these situations are also considering properly housed and conditioned koi, not a tank kept fish in serious need of a more appropriate environment.
seen plenty of stores peddling large common koi for hundreds of dollars. while a more experienced hobbyist wont fall for it im sure they will convince someone with no experience thats its some rare koi, and rare size, japanese bred etc to make the deal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store