Cleaning back of tank without moving it.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Hey guys, my 125 sits with 2 aquaclear 110s on the back, and about an inch of space between them and the light grey wall.
No back on the aquarium, I’m sick of it, gonna paint the back black with a long roller, but how do I clean the water drips without moving it?

I have a mop with a flat head, I figured I would just use that, but should I use vinegar? Or what?

I can pry get a long scraper from Home Depot too………

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If it's just general dust and water droplet residue then just warm water should clean it enough to prepare it for painting.

It's not a difficult job painting the back of a tank up against a wall, if you have an extendable roller, but it is very very tricky, and you don't want to "slip" and end up with black paint all over your light grey wall, it'll more than likely happen!

Some members don't paint at all. Instead they use a black "sheet" of some description and stick it to the back of the tank using tape. In your case I'd consider this a better alternative to the pita job of actually painting it.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I just slid black foam boards between the back of the tank & my Marineland Emperors. The filters hold the boards in place. Of course the foam boards can easily be attached with tape as well.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've done this...once...and won't ever do it again. A black background as others have described is so much faster and simpler to do, and is also less permanent in case you change your mind later. But paint does have a different look to it, and I decided to go for it.

If you decide (incorrectly!) that paint is worth the trouble, just make sure that you get a poly drop cloth and tape one edge of it all along the bottom of the tank at the back. Let it sag down towards the floor to catch the inevitable paint drips, and then bring the opposite edge of the dropcloth up and attach it to the wall a foot or so above the top of the tank. This way the entire wall behind and above the tank is covered and protected from contact with the roller. Don't try to remove the dropcloth until after the paint is dry.

Good luck! This is gonna be a PITA...:)

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I just slid black foam boards between the back of the tank & my Marineland Emperors. The filters hold the boards in place. Of course the foam boards can easily be attached with tape as well.
does water splash between the boards and glass though ever, making it ugly

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I've done this...once...and won't ever do it again. A black background as others have described is so much faster and simpler to do, and is also less permanent in case you change your mind later. But paint does have a different look to it, and I decided to go for it.

If you decide (incorrectly!) that paint is worth the trouble, just make sure that you get a poly drop cloth and tape one edge of it all along the bottom of the tank at the back. Let it sag down towards the floor to catch the inevitable paint drips, and then bring the opposite edge of the dropcloth up and attach it to the wall a foot or so above the top of the tank. This way the entire wall behind and above the tank is covered and protected from contact with the roller. Don't try to remove the dropcloth until after the paint is dry.

Good luck! This is gonna be a PITA...:)
Maybe you can come do it for me lmao

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
If it's just general dust and water droplet residue then just warm water should clean it enough to prepare it for painting.

It's not a difficult job painting the back of a tank up against a wall, if you have an extendable roller, but it is very very tricky, and you don't want to "slip" and end up with black paint all over your light grey wall, it'll more than likely happen!

Some members don't paint at all. Instead they use a black "sheet" of some description and stick it to the back of the tank using tape. In your case I'd consider this a better alternative to the pita job of actually painting it.
I used to use those sheets but water always got between them and looked crappy, how do you stop that

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
If I use poster board or sheets of background, how do I keep water from getting under it between the glass. I can’t get behind the tank to secure it really good……..it’s against the wall then in the corner by the other wall

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store