Can I add some Amano prawns to this tank?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Considering adding some Amano prawns to my 110 liter for a little variety. Just have some questions about their suitability.

-Currently there are 12 dwarf chain loaches. With that in mind, would adding the prawns overload the available floor space?
-Could the dwarf chain loaches be trusted with Amano prawns? Although they are small, they are very boisterous with a strong bite and voracious appetite.
Consequently I wouldn't put it past them to tear the Amano prawns apart (especially when molted) or at least harass them. But I'm not quite sure, so I'm asking.
-I plan on greatly softening the water in that tank with some RO water. Will this negatively affect Amano prawns, or can it be counteracted with feeding calcium-rich food?

Thanks for advice in advance. It's been years since I've had these prawns.

Reactions: tlindsey

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I think it is asking for trouble.

Possibly the amano and the chain loaches can live well together ... for a while, maybe days or even weeks. Until the chain loaches have a go. And they will.

Not too sure about the RO water either.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I think I'll pass on the prawns then. Don't want to subject them to being harassed or eaten.

Reactions: Midwater

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Had considered that (both sumo and zodiac). I'm not comfortable trusting them with the green neon/cardinal tetras, and the dwarf chain loaches may not respect their boundaries for territory.

Oh well.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Well how about striata then? Look great, and go well with chains. Should leave the tetra alone too.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Tank's too small for zebras (Emma Turner recommends 90x45cm footprint, and I find myself agreeing with her on that). I was already going to get some for my 2nd 473 liter (it's in the thread on setting up my second loach tank) anyway, in fact I had been planning that from the moment I joined.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I agree they look great and would go well with chains.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Do you want something unusual that would go well with chains, fit in the small footprint and look fantastic?

What about L46?

(I have got one in with my chains and striata in the small footprint partition. )

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
You must be psychic! Since Monday I had been contemplating getting either that species or another species of small, attractively patterned carnivorous pleco (such as L129, L333, or L201), but wasn't certain of which out of the 3 tanks it would go best in.
Looks like I have my answer. Only concern is finding L46 for an affordable price, which hopefully I can.

Reactions: Midwater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store