Wet pet?

Skinned

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Hello everyone! I have a 75 gallon standard sized tank that is full of community fish I'm bored to death with and am considering getting one SA cichlid to hang out with. I used to keep a lot of these guys when I have a 150 gallon tank. I have a 75 now and I'm not going to upgrade side ever. I've been thinking Red Devil or Flowerhorn, Green terror is attractive, but I've always loved oscars.

Can an oscar live in a 75 gallon tank and be comfortable throughout its entire life cycle? I don't want a fish that will get too big for it.

Thanks!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Oscar really gets too big for a 75 to comfortably live.
Gt, flowerhorn, severum, or blood parrot, or even a convict all would make good wet pets for a 75 (and the latter few would be able to live with dithers).

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Would a red devil be okay in a 75?
Okay? Maybe.

Kept and displayed to its full potential? No.

The 75 would work while the fish is small, but once it reaches 8"+ you may notice it becoming frantic, aggressive, or jumpy. When it approaches full size it will be obvious the tank is too small. Ideal tank size imo for most amphilophus should be 6' 125g or larger.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Okay? Maybe.

Kept and displayed to its full potential? No.

The 75 would work while the fish is small, but once it reaches 8"+ you may notice it becoming frantic, aggressive, or jumpy. When it approaches full size it will be obvious the tank is too small. Ideal tank size imo for most amphilophus should be 6' 125g or larger.
+1
Parrot or flowerhorn are going to be the closest thing to a red devil for a 75.
A big male platinum convict looks just like a big amph.

Reactions: jjohnwm and Jexnell

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
If you can be SURE to get a female, a 75gal would be okay for a FEMALE devil/midas for life, by itself. If there's even a chance you'll end up with a male, don't bother - anything smaller than a 5ft long tank is too small for a full grown male devil or midas. I have mine in a 6ft tank by himself, and even not full grown yet at about 10" it's not a ton of room for him by any means.

Personally, IMO the same applies to flowerhorns. Males can get very large and the tank would just be too small. Anything bigger than 9-10" at maximum size will outgrow a 75gal.

Something like a goldsaum, jack dempsey, etc. should be what you consider. Agreed, male convicts when they actually get full grown are impressive "little" monsters with a ton of personality and greatly resemble the flowerhorn and midas shape. I can't recommend a BP to anyone ever because I personally think they're horrible little abominations that should be wiped from the hobby entirely, but to each their own :p

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Here are some pics of a 12in Amphilophus in a 6ft tank. He can end to end the tank with just two flicks of his tail
20210420_195521.jpg20210420_195501.jpg20200820_120439.jpg
Keeping a 12in fish in a 75 for life is akin to you living in your bathroom your entire life

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Oscar really gets too big for a 75 to comfortably live.
Gt, flowerhorn, severum, or blood parrot, or even a convict all would make good wet pets for a 75 (and the latter few would be able to live with dithers).
I’ve kept a severum in a 75 and personally I think it’s too small. He looked cramp in there and if I were to get another one I would put it in a minimum of a 5’ tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store