Plant only filtration (why not popular in the hobby???)

bradleyagregg

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
pittsburgh
RM, you've inspired me to grow veggies. I just picked up a 125 gallon preformed pond to put out by my deck. Filtration will be strictly veggies. Picked up a couple food grade 55 gallon plastic drums to cut in half for my grow bed. I got the pond, 2 pumps, and 3 underwater led lights for $50. Barrels were free.

Pics will come throughout the next few days.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
make sure you have plenty of light and put it down right close to the seedlings. you can also incorporate an oscillating fan. my seedlings started to fall over due to a lack of light. I only had 3k lumens 3 feet above the plants.. i now have 12k about 14 inches above.. would be closer but i have a large houseplant in the way. once they are developed you can gradually increase the distance of the light to allow growth. They say like 3 inches is good for florescent. Im hoping my seedlings recover.

bradleyagregg

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
pittsburgh
make sure you have plenty of light and put it down right close to the seedlings. you can also incorporate an oscillating fan. my seedlings started to fall over due to a lack of light. I only had 3k lumens 3 feet above the plants.. i now have 12k about 14 inches above.. would be closer but i have a large houseplant in the way. once they are developed you can gradually increase the distance of the light to allow growth. They say like 3 inches is good for florescent. Im hoping my seedlings recover.
This is going outside right off of my deck. It will get all the sun light needed. Going to stick with low light house plants for the indoor tanks.

bradleyagregg

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
pittsburgh
I think the fish stock will be all native species out of the local creeks. Me and my step son love to seine the creeks. I'm a big fisherman also so the pond will also serve as a good place to store live bait we get out of the creeks.

D_Nicepumpkin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2015
the cave
to avoid the platform issue, i use breeder boxes and support the plants with bamboo sticks, this keeps my feeder tank at almost zero everything, the ammonia does spike to .1 when i add new fish but other than that the boxes with plants work just fine. i actually use edible plants too, basil, tomatoes and cucumbers, its an aqua-ponics system in a sense.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
anybody tried using Pandan plants?
I have pothos in my tanks, but I was originally planningv to add them to my floating island for the pond, but read that they dont do well in direct sunlight? any comments on this?
btw read in previous post arrowheads grow faster than pothos?
are they good with direct sunlight?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store