What is the most under rated fish?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
First so glad MFK is back.

Second what do you think the most under rated fish are. I have two fish that I feel are highly under rated. I picked up a Black Ghost Knife for the first time and it is such a fun little fish just dancing around the tank. cool shape and movement and jsut all around interested. I got the chance to teach my kids about sonar last night. I have read the BGK use sonar and it was hard to explain to young kids so we made a game out of it with blind folds. What a fun night my kids loved! Anyways I think BGK is so under rated I wish I got one sooner.

My next most under rated fish is the Rainbow Cichlid. They aren't aggressive they have great colors (when they are happy) and they are more mid level fish occupying a different part of the tank and not hiding like so many other cichlids their size do.

I would love to hear what other gems people have discovered

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Blue catfish, Ictalurus furcatus.

These guys are extremely active for a catfish, they have tons of personality and respond to your presence at the tank and they are utterly fearless once they get about 10" or so.

And I can't say enough about the GORGEOUS metallic cobalt blue color.

FB_IMG_1432303264306.jpg

All in all, this is probably my favorite species of fish. Getting another is my top priority in the hobby right now. :)

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Under rated? I'm interested in the thread. I have been told Severums are under rated and have lots of personality.

I like the South American Leaf Fish. It's just not easy to keep. You need a stock pile of live food that you diet with nutrition before hand. Watching them eat is highly entertaining though. Training for pellets is supposed to be very difficult (probably less entertaining anyway) and breeding is supposed to be out of the question. This could possibly be an under rated fish. I haven't seen too much about them. Not like other fish on this site.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Blue catfish are very cool. I always liked catfish but never got into them due to inactivity and being nocturnal. Noce to know there is an active one out there .

Severum are very underrated I have two myself. They don't have quite as much personality as other cichlids but they are nice in the fact that there colors are great and they are out and about more. They also seem to recognize their owners. They are large but only semi aggressive. I agree they don't get the attention they deserve.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Giant gouramis. These guys are like awesome wet pets!

However, I'm glad these things are under rated, since they are monster size, because I hate to see them as readily available as pacus and rtc. Too many people buying these things without the resource to house them.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Convicts.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Pictus

Anders247

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maw Installation
Under rated as in ignored, or under rated as in bad reputation? Red tail catfish have a bad rep, but that's because they are almost never kept in the right size tank.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store