Pike I'd

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Yep there's many many different localities and diff collection points of saxatilis even though it's classified as one sp. it has a very large range all throughout south america. I just happened to know what the Guyana one looked like... kinda odd though how he has no spangles... kinda reminds me of a picture of a male lepidota I've seen.... I'm not 100% sure on the ID saxatilis group sp can be a tricky group to ID correctly

Reactions: juddb

juddb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
washington
Well he's awesome either way, he's in an 80 gallon with a Raphael cat and a school of silver dollars, if I were to pick up a female would they do ok in the 80?

juddb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
washington
Yep there's many many different localities and diff collection points of saxatilis even though it's classified as one sp. it has a very large range all throughout south america. I just happened to know what the Guyana one looked like... kinda odd though how he has no spangles... kinda reminds me of a picture of a male lepidota I've seen.... I'm not 100% sure on the ID saxatilis group sp can be a tricky group to ID correctly
So I googled male lepidota, and was surprised to see photos all looking like my pike now I'm wondering if he may be a lepidota

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
google images can be a bit fugazi often spitting out pictures of diff species than what you originally try. But yes does look like a male lepidota like I said....
In regard to the female it's a hit or miss whether or not he'll accept her. It depends but it could work if they like each other and you can breed them in a 80. Sds and a raphael cat sounds like you've picked tankmates centered around the pike which is awesome. Keep us updated

juddb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
washington
Here is his setup, an ac70, sensen uv hw304b canister, and a bios pong for filtration, let me know what you think

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store