Courtesy warning to everyone planning to buy an NTT

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Hey guys,
My assumption is that all the NTTs are distributed from the same place. If not, then please ignore. Since its NTT season and I'm sure that many of you are thinking of purchasing an one, I figured I should warn you guys.

I recently ordered an NTT off of eBay and the fish I got had the datnoid disease (or something I've never encountered before). I got the fish from a reputable source and the fish looked great before the vendor shipped it. As is the case with all the dats infected with this disease, but it wasn't the case after I got it. My guess is that the fish was carrying the infection and it became visible due to the stress involved in shipping. I have attached photos of the fish before and after. Watch out guys...

(It died the next day) image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Sorry for your loss and the heads up! It is kinda lucky it was visible before you released it so you could keep it away from other datnioides (if you have any). Did you contact the seller for a possible refund or a warning that he should keep the datnioides in "quarantene" to see how this pans out before selling anymore?

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Sorry for your loss and the heads up! It is kinda lucky it was visible before you released it so you could keep it away from other datnioides (if you have any). Did you contact the seller for a possible refund or a warning that he should keep the datnioides in "quarantene" to see how this pans out before selling anymore?
Thank you. And yes i was lucky to see it before I released it, I do have a few dats and I'd be bummed if my other NTTs got infected from this guy. I contacted the seller and he has agreed to ship me another one. As for quarantining the fish, he said (quote) "all my fish are kept singly in a 30 gallon / fish aquariums and the filtration includes a high power UV sterilizer." Which is pretty good for the treatment of ick and infections of that sorts, but I wonder how good a UV filter is when it comes to the datnoid disease... I will be QTing the other fish I get from him for a while before I add it to my main datnoid tank.

That's a bummer. Sorry for the loss.
Thank you.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
A few years ago I made a thread that I hoped would be a sticky about the strange ailments that NTT are prone to coming down with and this one is right along those lines.Some thinbars die and some don't but most of the thinbars that I have had seem to have succumbed to the disease.I have since tried to stick to my vow of never buying any more thinbars but the temptation is hard to resist.

kevchooi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2014
Fish paradise
From my experience with thinbar, they are extremely sensitive to Ammonia. The slightest spike in Ammonia will send them into "non-active" mode and if water changed is not carried out, they'll be stressed out and prone to bacterial attack. As to your thinbar, I wonder if the vendor fasted the fish for a couple of days before shipment. Ammonia buildup in the plastic bag could have triggered the condition.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
A few years ago I made a thread that I hoped would be a sticky about the strange ailments that NTT are prone to coming down with and this one is right along those lines.Some thinbars die and some don't but most of the thinbars that I have had seem to have succumbed to the disease.I have since tried to stick to my vow of never buying any more thinbars but the temptation is hard to resist.
Yes, I remember reading your thread(s) regarding the datnoid disease multiple times. Its truly sad that this beautiful datnoid specie is so sensitive. All my current NTTs have been with me for at least a year or two. But like you have mentioned in your previous threads, one can never be sure as to when the disease will "kick" in :(.

From my experience with thinbar, they are extremely sensitive to Ammonia. The slightest spike in Ammonia will send them into "non-active" mode and if water changed is not carried out, they'll be stressed out and prone to bacterial attack. As to your thinbar, I wonder if the vendor fasted the fish for a couple of days before shipment. Ammonia buildup in the plastic bag could have triggered the condition.
Ammonia build up might be a probable cause, kevchooi. I just hope the other one I'm getting from the seller isn't infected as well.

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@

Same here. Ive had many ntt's. All the ones i had started to breath hard @ random. I lost i think 2-3 of them. The one i kept I ending up selling ( sold him after i somewhat cured his breathing issue.) Its random im prob done with them. Like you krich the temptation is real LOL

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That disease is probably why large thinbars are a rare sight in the hobby.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
interesting..........

I have never heard of this before. is it something only thinbars are prone to? or are they just more sensitive than other dats?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store