Marulioides or marulius ? Call out for snakehead experts

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
image.jpg image.jpg Help all, LFS has a batch of these little guys. They are labelled as "Cobra" but I am suspect on that

Help please, what are these?

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
I believe those are Maruliius
When they are young I believe there are two distinctive characteristics:

- Marulius has different blotches on the sides with some white speckles around them;
and, the easier distinction
-Marulius have a dark vertical line going through the eyeball; Marulioides don´t have that bar.

In the second pic, the dark vertical bars are noticeable

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Joao, is correct. These are definitely C. Marulius.
Thank you both for the clarification!

I was frustrated last week when MFK was down and I saw them

Marulioides I would have picked up, Marulius I will pass for the sake of my bichirs

Thanks again guys

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Are those the ones from Riverfront?
You bet, they are in the tank labeled "cobra". I saw they also have two tanks with small red lines.

Have you seen the two huge micros at the front? That one has to be getting close to the 30 inch mark

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
You bet, they are in the tank labeled "cobra". I saw they also have two tanks with small red lines.

Have you seen the two huge micros at the front? That one has to be getting close to the 30 inch mark
Good to know they are Marulius as I wasn't sure myself. I think the other ones are just small micros and they have the odd rainbow type snakehead or at least they did last time I was there. The big micros are nice and I can't believe they get along in such a small tank. If I didn't have stingrays I would have tried them out in one of my big tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store