Making a fish room in miami,fl

michael0418

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2015
miami,fl
I own a business a nursery for plants to be exact and I have this shed out back it has a concrete floor and concrete pillars. I am wondering do I have to insulate the walls? down here were lucky to get down to the 50s during the winter this last summer we had a constant 70 degrees. So anyway if I close off the whole shed will I need it I'm looking at keeping mostly SA cichlids and probably make a big tank for my first "monster" setup. So I'm looking at around 75+ constant temp, I could run a space heater in the winter if needed. Any advice can help I'll post a video of the shed later when I get a chance. thank you

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I know you are in a warm area, but insulation is relatively cheap (and easy to DIY) and even in Florida, it will probably pay off in the long run.
It sure would suck to get a freak cold snap, the electric heater can't keep up and then you lose everything.
I would insulate it. Even a half-hearted insulated job would be a lot better than nothing.

Also, try to design your room to make water changes as convenient as possible.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Drainage. I just did an ATO, and I have a small 3/4 inch PVC drain in the sump, goes outside the house to a garden hose that ends in a drain in my backyard. If I had it to do over, I'd have made that drain alot bigger, so I could just put the outlet from the gravel vac into it and vacuum out solids. Having a drain big enough for that right under the tank would be nice. Right now, I just vacuum it all out into a filter sock.

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
Insulation and easy water changes are the key to any successful fish room.
True I'm going to setting up another room when I move but I'm in Miami and I use my spare bedroom as my fishroom and its sometimes difficult to keep the temps in the same range I would think the insulation would be a big help keep things Stable.. To me insulation and a sink/drain are a must in the fish room makes life a lot easier

michael0418

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2015
miami,fl
hopefully it will be up soon since your from down here any chance u been to the gold coast aquarium club I'm wondering if its worth checking it out?

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
Well I wont be moving till later in the year but ve been tempted to go to one of the auctions but I think it's mostly african cichlids and I keep Frontosa but I prefer central or South American but I will have to see for my self one day

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
I wouldnt be worried about the "winter", but the 100° temp in the shed. Your gonna need to insulate for the a/c. The dehumidifier in my shed alone can make the temps into the low 90's, ONCE it reached 97 so now in the morning I open the door and turn the dehu off until night time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store