Baby Pacu 2"

crazycowboy1955

Feeder Fish
May 24, 2015
Although everything we've read talk about being herbivores or omnivorous our baby prefers meat. Brine shrimp, cichlid food, snails which he has pretty much emptied the tank of and earthworms. We are curious if he will outgrow this and gradually become more of a herbivore? He has eaten some peas though. Thanks.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Looks like you just answered your own question since, thus far, your 4 month old pacu has eaten meat protein and vegetable protein. That's basically the definition of an omnivorous species.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Yeah, I would say mine would prefer high protein pellets to most other foods, although I don't let it make up too large part of their diet. I would wean them to Hikari algae tabs or similar higher quality algae tab as a staple. Mine seem to like spinach, duck weed, carrots, peanuts, Brazil nuts, guava, raisins, small bits of banana, Nori strips and they love massivore(of course). Just limit sugary fruits to 4 times a month IMO. Be warned, if you get them on a high protein diet, the growth rate is extremely fast.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
In nature, pacu species will consume about 95% vegetables. That is, when pacus are caught in the wild and they have their digestive tracts examined, it contains 95% vegetation.

It's of course possible that older pacu are almost exclusively vegetarian, while those at young ages will also consume invertebrates. Snails, earthworms and brine shrimp may indeed be similar to it's early diet.

It's also possible that a pacu (like children) will eat whatever it can if that's what it's offered. Human children will eat candy, sugar and corn syrup all day if that's what they're given despite the fact that they are smarter than pacu and that humans weren't designed to eat that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store