Reticulated Hillstream loaches reproducing

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
About three months ago I went into a local store looking for Panda Garra. The owner had never heard of them but he did have some RHLs in stock, six to be exact. I took all six home and put them in a fifty set up with a river manifold system. They have been living quite well and have been a blast to watch. I know they will spawn if kept in proper conditions so I have been hoping to see some babies and sure enough I finally have. A couple days ago I saw my first and then yesterday I found a second.

These are very small, about .25". I had some concern because a week ago my local store got in some Panda Garra (6) for me and I added them to the hillstream tank, before I knew I had baby reticulated. Since then however I don`t believe they are in any danger. The Panda garra just ignore them. I hope the RHL continue to spawn and that some of the eggs escape being eaten by the PG as I would like to see more of them. I also have now converted my 125 to a hillstream tank in which I have Mascara Barbs (6), Clown Barbs (6) and Barilius carnrensis (5), but no bottom dwellers. It would be great to have enough RHL to start them in the 125!

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Yah, Panda garra are cool. One of the most entertaining fish I have had. They are very active and at this small size (2") they like each other and pile up like loaches (no they are not loaches). When you do buy them get at least four, six is better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store