Dorado (Salminus) ID and Care Guide 1.1

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
It's impossible to tell for sure from the pic.

It is however a golden dorado. That means that it's either brasiliensis or franciscanus. Given how rare brassys are, it's probably a frankie.

At the end of the day, there's no obvious or apparent behavior or appearance difference between the two.

Supervee

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Minnesotta
It's impossible to tell for sure from the pic.

It is however a golden dorado. That means that it's either brasiliensis or franciscanus. Given how rare brassys are, it's probably a frankie.

At the end of the day, there's no obvious or apparent behavior or appearance difference between the two.
Thanks. Here's a video from the store I bought it from.

Golden Dorado @ Tropiquatics (5/5/15):

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
It looks pretty obvious to me these are franciscanus... head shape and face bones give it away easily especially since they look like they've been fasted for a bit at the store. My brasiliensis (bighead but really should call him a froghead because the head reminds me of a frog almost) is really peaceful while my franciscanus was so aggressive I had to sell him. Both are great fish but I'd keep an eye on your dorado he might end up killing most of your stock in the near future.... once they get used to the surroundings they can get REALLY nasty, one of the meanest fish I've kept

Supervee

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Minnesotta
Yea he already has been showing aggression. Him and the jardini hate each other. He chases the orino peacock bass but stays away from the monos. The only fish he doesn't mess with is the wolf fish. but it's a cool fish still. Took pellets after 2 days so now I have it on hikari food sticks and tilapia. He has a huge appetite. Already has grown in the 2 weeks I've had him.

Supervee

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Minnesotta
Got my franky at the beginning of May from a LFS that had store closing sale. Had to try my hand especially since it was on sale. He is quite a mean guy. Since I've had him the aggression of some of my other fish has gone up. Probably gonna have to get rid of him since no one likes him lol.

Reactions: JYC
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store