Raninus tank

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
tank all finished, just going to slowly replace the plastic plants with live ones and add a few more dither fish, may be a group of something to brake up the space a bit.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
thanks all, they have pretty much hidden since they got in there. the BGK seems to be the boss at the moment. I think it will take them a few days to start feeding again lol but they got plenty of reserves lol

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK

well a quick update.

had to move the BGK out cause it was bullying the cats so that's gone back to its old tank on his own. the angels are doing great, I have added a pair of juvie bristle nose plecs and a random cherry barb I had, I also added some more plastic plants. I have some java ferns on order to tie to the drift wood and add some more cover in the centre. I'll be adding some more dither fish in the next few weeks still not sure what but I think a bit of trial and error will be the best way. oh and I broke my phone so had to go back to a spare and the camera is rubbish....

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
well since doing my snakehead tank i decided i'm going to go with my original plan and replace the plastic plants with real one, so the other day I took out all the grubby plastic plants ( they soon get coated in crud) and give the substrait a good clean, since I set it up for live in the first place it was just a case of replacing so I used some of the spare plants I had and got this.

needless to say its not looking great but then a lot of the plants still need to grow.

today i grab some larger busher plants for the snakeheads and stripped them down and half went in with the snakes and half in this tank, which gave it a much better look. also got a few floating plants in there now too. it seems to have stired something in the cats as they seem to be coming out now in daylight hopefully as the plants grow it will increase.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
looking better mate, needs a bit more sand tho imo, i added fertiliser to my channa tank today and cable tied some ferns down... wish cichlids would let plants grow then i would plant all my tanks, looks great.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
the two planted areas are about 1.5" of 25% plant substrate 25% gravel and 50% sand, there is a loose sprinkle of sand on the slate but I got to redo my jag tank so I can take some out of there and put it in cause i'm gonna put some slate chipping in there cause they trash everything else lol. I got a few spare ferns i'm playing with in other tanks I may add to the drift wood as the three in there seem lame at the moment hahaha

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
looking better mate, needs a bit more sand tho imo, i added fertiliser to my channa tank today and cable tied some ferns down... wish cichlids would let plants grow then i would plant all my tanks, looks great.
go another 1/2" of sand in there, and more to come from the jag tank once there latest litter are free swimming. im going to use slate chippings in there tank with some white sand mixed in so all the old sand is getting reused in my planed tanks. also added another bit of drift wood and another fern. lol becoming obsessed with plants.

still everything is growing well to say its all still natural lighting.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
some interesting stuff going on in the tank at the moment thought i would post an update on the tank.

recently added more swords and a few other plants, to say it is only naturally lit through the window during day time its doing better than some of my tanks with lighting.

this is a rubbish picture cause of the phone but it does the trick

and a quick update on the occupants.

2x jelly cats ( around 4-5")
3x angles
was 12x cherry barbs ( make a good breeder and fast fish for the cats to chase)
2x bristlenose
2x banjo cats

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store