90G Planted Tank build

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
Now that my new 90g (48x18x24) is established, planted, and scaped, I figured it was time to reveal!

Filtration is a 20g wet/dry with bioballs and pillow batting running about 600gph.

Lighting is a 4 bulb HO wavepoint fixture with three full sun spectrum bulbs and a blue actinic bulb. The lights come on at 1pm, has a siesta period from 5:30 to 6:30, and then shuts off at 11pm. All together that is 9 hours of light a day.

I tried to be as creative as possible with my substrate as to give my plants the best shot. This is my first truly planted tank so its all a bit of an experiment. I started with a half inch layer of flourite, covered with an inch layer of organic potting soil, and then capped off with an inch or so of Black Diamond Blasting Sand.

The centerpiece is just an interesting stump I found in my bosses yard of all places.

Livestock:
7x Peppered Corydoras
7x Giant Danios
3x Senegal Bichirs
1x Delhezi Bichir
1x Banded Knife Fish
1x Eclipse catfish
I plan on adding in a few more Bichirs as I find some of the smaller species but they are proving a bit difficult to track down.

Plant stock:
Vallisneria spiralus
Aponogeton boivinianus
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Anubias nana
Anubias congensis
Anubias frazeri
Bacopa monnieri
Water Onion (crinum thaianum)
Amazon Sword (echinodorus amazonicus)
Dracaena veriegatus
Java Fern (microsorum pteropus)
Aponogeton natans
Telanthera Cardinalus

I am dosing every other day with Flourish and Flourish Trace.

I am not competely sure on some of these plants so forgive me if I mislabeled anything. I want to look into a CO2 system eventually but I want to see if the tank will take off without it.

DSCN3225[1].JPG
This is the most recent full tank shot and I have more of the livestock and plants in an album -> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?media/albums/90g-planted-wonderland.1/

I plan to keep updating this thread with weekly tank shots to track the growth of the plants and whatnot. I would love any input you all have to offer!

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
I didn't build it, no. I bought it used from my LFS. It was previously on a saltwater 75. All I did was rinse it out, wash the bioballs, and hooked it up. I modified it slightly to include a drip tray and evaporation lids, nothing fancy. I'll post pics when I get off work today. Also, it may very well be 29 gallons but being a wet dry it isn't anywhere near full

Reactions: Anders247

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
SorrY about not posting that pic yet, thing got a bit heavy at home, I'll get it up as soon as I can

Anders247

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maw Installation
No problem, take as much time as you need.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Really nice tank...wont the cory's end up birchir snacks ?

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
There is a chance. So far everyone has been ok and one of the sens is already 7 inches. If anything, I am more worried about how aggressive the knife fish is becoming. He is a fin nipper, which I am hoping will disappear as the plants come in and the tank has more secluded spots. Him and the eclipse cat REALLY don't get along but that is just because they compete for cave space. They stick to their own caves for the most part but every once in a while the knife gets a bit greedy. This should also dissipate as the cat gets bigger and the plants grow in. And thank you!

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
this is the wet/Dry, pretty simple.
IMG_2251.JPG IMG_2252.JPG IMG_2253.JPG IMG_2254.JPG That is peet moss in the filter BTW

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store