L25 Pleco care question

cory.shawhan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2013
ohio
I recently bought an l25 Pleco and cant seem to get it to eat very well every once and a while I get it to eat but it's belly is starting to get sunk in. Any ideas on different foods I could try?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
What are you feeding it? How long have you had it ? Any hides for it ? Tankmates ?

cory.shawhan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2013
ohio
I've had it for about a month, and I'm feed it shrimp pellets and spectrum pellets with krill and shrimp every once and a while. He is in a 40 breeder with no other fish other then a L114 and a L128 but they are both maybe an inch long and he is like four inches so I don't think they would bully him. And yea there are lots of hiding spots in the driftwood in there

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Did you quarantine him ? Any white stringy poop ? Try putting pellets.or shrimp right in front of his face ?

cory.shawhan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2013
ohio
I haven't really seen him poop you think I should treat him with something? He is about a year and a half old I know the guy who had him before and he had him with African cichlids so I got him really cheap cause he didn't look very good, but he was eating really good I saw him eat a ton in his tank, he does seem to be stunted though cause he's not very big for being that old

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Im not sure if you whould treat. I always treat for ip with any new fish. It could be that he is just acclimating to a new environment. If it were me i would treat with parasite gaurd for the full treatment. But since you know the source of your fish its kind hit or miss

Poklei

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 13, 2009
Las vegas
i just recently got a l25 and l24, i use tongs and place algae wafers and hikari carnivore pellets infront of them or close to them and they are eating it

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
Try rubbing cut garlic on the food, or soaking the food in garlic extract. Supposedly garlic is an appetite stimulant. There are some foods that have lots of garlic in it, like Thera A+ NLS

cory.shawhan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2013
ohio
Thanks for the info guys but I think I figured it out I added an aerator to the tank and he seems to be a lot more active and eating he actually has started to bully the two little Plecos I have in there with him lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store