scuds and sumps

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I want to put scuds in my sump, should I strain them out or dump the green water directly into my sump. There will be daphnia and stuff as well and I want to have a colony in the slower sections of my sump so I am seeking advice and input, thanks in advance

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
What's scuds?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
What's scuds?
Scuds is another term for Gammarus shrimp. These shrimp occur in all types of water and on every continent except Antarctica. There are over 200 identified species with more species being added to the list every year. Gammarus_roeselii.jpg

The freeze-dried freshwater shrimps that are offered as fish food are Gammarus shrimp.

FDGammarus.jpg

They contain 60% protein making them a great treat for your fish and herps.

Last edited:

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Thanks oddball, you are a font of knowledge and a wealth of information as always,:)
did you dump the green water in your tank straight up or strain them out first?

Also, what are your thoughts on daphnia and other little critters in sumps, do you think they will eat the mulm and muck in the bottom?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I drop them in planted refugiums that drain into the main tanks, and regularely flow into the tanks. I have seen them in the sumps, and occasionally in tanks, but as Oddball said, they tend to hide in detritus, and under rocks and other decor.
They overwinter in my ponds, as do daphnia.

at this time of year, I can usually pull out a wine glass full 2 or 3 times/day.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Cool, my main question is if I can dump the green water that they will be coming in directly into my sump with no ill effects so I don't lose any of the very small organisms

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I dumped the whole bag directly into my tank (and many other bags into many other tanks). The culture sizes were each 100+ shrimps so they couldn't possibly be eaten before the bulk of the culture could burrow in safely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store