New Native Wet Pets

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Not sure how related this is. Anywho I head up to sudbury ontario Canada every year on vacation. And I stay in a cottage for a week. But the thing is I catch BEAUTIFUL native pumpkin seeds, large mouth, and smallmouth. The thing is The smallmouth have very vibrant dark brown stripes with bright reddish brown bodies, VERY vibrant purple fins, and beautiful red eyes. The largemouths have black with LIME green and creamy whitw bellies. And the pumpkin seeds are just exploding with colours of red, green, yellow, and orange. The thing that sucks is I never had a tank to keep them in. If anyone lives near Windsor Ontario and is into native fish. I can hook you up with crayfish, shiners, darters, and all the other fish I discussed during the summer ;D

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Last month I decided to consolidate all 3 fish together into a spare 55gal I have lying around. A few weeks later, my son(8) and I went out fishing for the the first time this season. He caught a bunch of sunnies on worms, and after a couple of hours got bored and went and played in the water. I took over the fishing and rigged up a pin minnow crank bait. Didn't take long to hook up to 2 baby large mouth bass.....just the sizes I've been looking for to add to the native collection ;)

Reactions: warmouth

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Charlie the pumpkinseed has put on some good size since last summer since it ate well throughout the winter months. Bob the SMB didn't eat as much the during the cold season, but now is feeding with more vigor since the temp has risen.

Only took a week to get the larger LMB onto pellets. The little guy is still holding out for live food.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
How's everyone doing?
Good!
The larger LMB is eating pellets like a pig and is getting fat. The SMB who has always been fairly mellow, is now super competitive during feeding time since its observing how greedy the larger LMB can be. The pumpkinseed is now a little territorial given a chase here and ther, but no real aggression. The little LMB is still on live and still not taking pellets. It'll grab a pellet once in a while but has yet to keep it down, so I'm giving it earthworms every few days. The bullhead is getting much food due to the greedy tankmates, so I'm going to have to devise a way of getting it more food.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
What do you feed the bullhead? I feed mine worms and I'll hold the worm at the top and wait for him to come up and give it to him since the other fish eat pellets mostly but they like worms too so I'll have to pull it from them some times unless they're all getting worms haha. But if they're all getting worms I'll drop pieces across the entire tank to maximize his chances of getting a piece.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What do you feed the bullhead? I feed mine worms and I'll hold the worm at the top and wait for him to come up and give it to him since the other fish eat pellets mostly but they like worms too so I'll have to pull it from them some times unless they're all getting worms haha. But if they're all getting worms I'll drop pieces across the entire tank to maximize his chances of getting a piece.
My bullhead eats pellets, but he doesn't come to the surface and attack food like its tankmates. I'm gonna try taking some pvc and making a tee design with one end long enough to go above the water's surface. I'll drop pellets down this end that's sticking above the water and it'll sink down to the bottom of the tee where the bullhead can have access to it. I'll use a diameter just big enough for the bullhead to fit into, so only he can get to the pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store