Pacu fin nipping

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
So I have two 18" RBP in a 300g (8x2.5x2) that for the most part until recently have been getting along wonderfully with their tank mates. (channel cat, RTC, 2 P. Gibbiceps, indo dat, 2 oscars, ornate bichir). However, in the last week or so, they have really started to nip at the ornate. To the point I had to take her out of the tank because her tail fin is shredded.

Are they simply too big for the tank or is it a different issue? I've heard they become more aggressive when fed meatier foods, and this tank does get a lot of smelt because of the catfish. They do also get a wide variety of other foods - carrots, grapes, koi pellets, hikari cichlid gold, massivore, broccoli, etc.)

I do have a 4600g pond I can put them in, but I'm hesitant about doing so because it's currently overstocked with koi and goldfish (different issue i need to deal with) and many are butterfly and I REALLY don't want the pacu nipping at the fins or whiskers of the koi...

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I bet in a 4600g enclosure(as long as temp. and water parameters are acceptable), they should cohabitate. Hard to say for certain, as they do have their own personalities/behaviors. They will probably keep your GF population in check. IME, keep them well fed and they tend to be fairly mild mannered but I have heard stories of aggressive RBP's. I usually recommend at least 600g for RBP's.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I would just watch for aggression but I have had friends who have mixed koi and pacu with no problems. I would be more concerned with fancy GF...With a over populated pond, this is probably just what you need.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Are they simply too big for the tank or is it a different issue? I've heard they become more aggressive when fed meatier foods, and this tank does get a lot of smelt because of the catfish. They do also get a wide variety of other foods - carrots, grapes, koi pellets, hikari cichlid gold, massivore, broccoli, etc.)
1) many pacu are 95%+ vegetarians.
2) any fish may exhibit unusual behavior when crowded. A 300g tank is far too small for one pacu. It's clearly so for 2 of them, much less so when one also has a channel cat, a RTC, 2 P. Gibbiceps, an indo dat, 2 oscars, and an ornate bichir.

What was your plan before this?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Oh they were all always going to get put in the pond, but I was going to wait at least a bit longer. Guess my timeline sped up a bit.lol
Well that makes perfect sense. I think you've just raised them a bit better than you expected and they grew a bit faster. The actual cause of the behavior could be a few other things besides over crowding or diet, but it could be just as you said: your timeline is speeding up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store