Need a Pleco -- Adonis?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have a 540 Gallon acrylic tank with all Vieja, a Midas, and a small Trimac. A big Manzanita stump in it and some Manzanita limbs, too. I really wanted 3-4 Royal Panaques and a Watermelon, but...it's acrylic. Would an Adonis would stay off the acrylic and not damage the tank? And will it eat at the surface? With the fish I have in this tank, pellets don't hit the bottom. Zucchini on a fork on the bottom, they all chase each other off it. A Pleco would have to be highly competitive for food in this tank, even come to the top for pellets. There's not a fruit or vegetable he wouldn't have to compete with Vieja for. Would a 3-4 inch Adonis work for me?

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
Hi I have a small (2") Adonis and he/she is really shy hiding amongst bogwood most of the time,I'm not sure if it will change as it gets older so at the mo I would say that it couldn't compete with your cichlids for food,I've kept sailfins before though and mine were pretty outgoing and more able imo to be able to get food with cichlids so maybe this would be better? Unless you can get hold of a big one

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California
As long as there well fed and have plenty of wood Panaques are fine in acrylic tanks. I never see my Panaques on the glass rasping there always after the wood.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
As long as there well fed and have plenty of wood Panaques are fine in acrylic tanks. I never see my Panaques on the glass rasping there always after the wood.
I'm gonna start yet another post about this. I've heard panaques are a no-no in acrylic tanks from some pretty authoritative sources. But, others say different. I just don't want to risk it with a brand new acrylic dream tank. But, I'd really love some Plec's in this tank, especially now that I have all the Vieja I'm gonna get.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
You have yours in a glass tank or acrylic?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Dude its a nightmare feeding my plecos. Pearsei/vieja are all over the food before it hits the bottom. Im resorting to feeding like this.

Its frozen krill and towards the end the l600 really whacks the pearsei pretty good.

Have you thought about pseudacanthicus like l600,l025,l024 ?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
That's exactly what I DON'T want. Brings back bad memories--did he eat? maybe he didn't eat it? I've never seen him eat. etc. I need a plec that will come out in the light, grab an algae tab from cichlids, put a beating on a cichlid occassionally, fearless. Like my Convict does :)

That's why I'm interested in an Adonis.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Dude its a nightmare feeding my plecos. Pearsei/vieja are all over the food before it hits the bottom. Im resorting to feeding like this.

Its frozen krill and towards the end the l600 really whacks the pearsei pretty good.

Have you thought about pseudacanthicus like l600,l025,l024 ?
Wow, I have never seen this before. Anytime I put something(including a gravel vac) in the tank, all the fish swim away. Even your pleco wasn't scared of it and he was trying to take the food from you.

Last edited:

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Wonder if the smaller Green/blue phaantoms would mess with the acrylic? My green phantom does a decent job of cleanin up algae and when he is on the glass i dont see teeth like i would on the L600

W Warborg even the birchir chases the damn tongs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store