Re-Sealing 220 Gallon Tank

Jordan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2005
Morgantown, WV
So I am re-sealing a 220 gallon I bought off of Craigslist. For some reason, I failed to see the terrible silicon along the seams while purchasing it. Don't ask how, because I don't know.

Anyhow, I have the side inside seams scraped off and need to do the bottom of the tank. It's just 30" too tall lol. Can I climb inside this thing and stand on the glass? I'm afraid to. I weight about 200 lbs.

I wish I would have never bought this and had been paying attention.

Thanks.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Is it supported o the bottom panel? If so I would say you are fine as long g as its on a flat surface if you are worried buy some underlay that is used for click flooring and put that under it while fully supported

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I assume it is a standard rimmed tank? If so the bottom glass is not designed to have any support. Putting some under it may put pressure on it and cause you issues such as cracking.

If you are going to attempt this sitting will be your best bet to spread the weight, but honestly it would make me nervous. That said, if the silicone was that bad you need to replace it shouldn't you do a proper reseal job and replace it all? The silicone between the glass is the important stuff.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
A picture would be nice to see what your dealing with. I was think thick foam not plywood or anything of that sort. Enough to distribute the weight evenly. I do agree a total reseal is not a bad idea could have been a pin hole leak that someone smeared a bunch of silicone over the old silicone or a big leak that someone e smeared silicone over.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
just sealed a 90g, important to keep in mind that new silicone does not stick to old/cured silicone. I would strip the whole tank of corner seals, (NOT BETWEEN THE PANES). Plenty of you tube vids on how to do this. I would in no way climb into the tank, your back will hate you but the tank will love you. prep is 90% of the job, taping and resealing the rest.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I resealed my 265 about a year ago and it was a PITA due to the height of the glass panels even with the tank sitting on the floor.I wholeheartedly agree with Pop's post.especially as far as climbing down into or standing on the tank panels..I did not have the height space to do so but perhaps you can stand the tank up vertically on one of it's ends.Scraping off the silicone should be much easier that way.

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
I've been hesitant to start this but I have a 90 gallon I already stripped just need to tape and reseal and when I drained my 220 the other day I realized it was a little moist user the tank by some of the seams so for my peace of mind I would like to reseal just know it's a pain in the you know i haven't finished but so far the hardest longest part is prepping taking all the old silicone out makes me wish I knew someone that would do it for me

Jordan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Thanks for the help, guys. Ended up selling it to a reptile guy and drove 4 hours to Baltimore to grab a 265 gallon made with 3/4" acrylic. It needs some scratches buffed out, but the weight and the quality are superb.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Resealing a pita for prep, if not up for it, do not attempt it. I agree good call!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store