Introducing Dats with other big fish

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
Ive got 3 Dats. My big forkbar is just a hair short of 12" (I've had it since it was a fry and it has been in a brackish environment all its life). The little guys I've had about 8 mos. I introduced them in a tank separated by egg crate and then one day the littlest one decides it wants to cross over - course I freaked for a sec and then realized that not only was the big guy not interested in the little one but it even backed off and was yielding to the little guy. All three are now in my 250 along with a 10" Australian jardini. The Jar is a brute and will take on pbass nearly 2x his size. But he yields to the little dat while tormenting the Silver Barbs (2") that are left from cycling the tank.
The big question is when will it be safe to add my pbass. The biggest is all of 18"+ and nearly 7" from top of its dorsal. It's eats mostly pellets but will swallow 3 standard comets at the same time. I'm also not sure how safe the jar will be with this mono but will have to move them soon.
Is the dorsal on the dat something that keeps the bigger fish away? Maybe they just taste lousy!
You can see the 3 dats in this pick. Sorry about the dark tannins - still filtering this out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
Prolly right - the bass has lived fine with an oddball leopard ctenopoma that I had from the standard 1.5" up to 5". Wouldn't want to push it though with a dat!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Like gangster said,or the bass will starve the dat by eating up most of the food that you give them.

Reactions: FunWow!

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
Any thoughts on my Jar and the pbass? I had a silver aro that was about 12" when the bass was 10" and the pbass beat the aro up pretty good trying to swallow it until I caught on and separated them. Could never quite understand why the bass never bothered the smaller ctenopoma but I figured it was because of the way the ctenopoma just kind of drifted around the tank stalking. The smooth slow movement must have never tempted the pbass.
The jar is a brute but I'm not to sure...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There will likely be trouble between the bass and the jardini.Jars are known to be aggressive at certain sizes and those two might have some battles.

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
I'm going to try and introduce the Pbass first with an egg crate divider. I'm not sure that it will keep him out though. He has already broken more than one tank lid!

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
i know nothing abt bass ,

bass and jardini ... i saw a lot peaceful commtank bass with arowana but never with a jard ... it should be interesting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store