DIY Sump Help?

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
Ok, so I'm in the process of ordering all the materials I need to build my soon-to-be 325 gallon tank and I wanted to build a wet/dry sump filter that can handle it. I'm planning on having it running on my current 150 gallon so once the 325 is ready to go everything can just get swapped right onto/into it without having to wait for that pesky cycling. I've gone and bought 1.25" PVC piping that I'll use to make the overflow and for the rest of the plumbing. I'll be buying the pump tomorrow, probably one rated somewhere in the 3000 gph range. My question is, is 1.25" PVC big enough to allow adequate flow into the sump without leaving it dry from the pump. I'll be adjusting the pump as needed but I'd rather use as much power as it has to give. So, is 1.25" big enough or should I go even bigger?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Will the drains run at full siphon, or will they be drawing in air along with water? I posted a link to a chart showing the flow rates of all size PVC pipe under siphon. It's in the "350 external overflow thread" I think. Just look at my post activity for the last 3-4 weeks you'll see it.

Need to know full siphon, how many drains, any long vertical sections in the drain lines, etc.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
The laguna maxflo 2900 is a great pump in the 3000gph area.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
That chart really helped me out, thanks. Because of it I actually switched to 2" pipe as opposed to the 1.25" because there are a couple bends from the design of the overflow. So I think I have everything down packed now. I should start building it either later today or tomorrow. I actually bought an Aquatop CQP9000 pump from the lfs yesterday while I was out. Its a bit less gph than I wanted but it has great head pressure. Does anyone have any experience with that kind of pump?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store