RTM breeding edmonton alberta

Djglenn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Edmonton alberta
So my RTM decided to breed at week one of free swimming. I need all the help I can get with this. I've had other cichlid species breed but these are a whole new level of aggression. there around 400 free swimmers at the moment I put 20 fry in a ten gallon incase mom and dad went postal on me. So far extremely good parenting no issues have not noticed any deaths. Feeding on freshly hatched brine shrimp always a new batch cooking. Any information on these guys would be helpful in regards to keeping the fry alive. These are a rare fish in edmonton as far as I know.

image.jpg

Reactions: Cichlasomasteve

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
First of all congrats on the spawn. As far as I know there are not a lot of RTM in Alberta. Do you have other fish in the tank with them? If you don't they will figure this out just make sure the male doesn't get to rough on the female. Also don't remove all the fry as he will most likely blame their being gone on her and may kill her. If you don't mind my asking where did you get these guys.

Djglenn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Edmonton alberta
There was a 5" giant snake head in with them, as soon as the showed signs of spawning I removed the snakehead. So far so good he is rarely aggressive with her maybe the odd nudge. I've been looking into RTM in Alberta can't find any I've tried Calgary and Edmonton so far. I actually was in big als pet store looking for Jaguars when this guy brought them in, I assume he no longer wanted them. I was looking at other fish and decided to go back to the cichlid section noticed these fish as they weren't there 5 mins ago and asked how much. They said 50.00 if you take both so I jumped on it they thought the two were jags. I new better brought them home set them up and yea bred quickly after I messed with water temps lights and food. All fry are growing fast with zero loses that I am aware of.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
We have a bunch of tanks here in # Hills just south of you about two and a half hours if you would like to sell some fry. My wife and I are trying start a business selling locally raised fish. There is a friend of ours in Edmonton that I thought may sold them to you. He is pikeaholic on alberta aquatica. He may be able to give you some help as well as he loves these kind of fish. It sounds like you have things under control but if you have'nt maybe put something in the tank for her to hide in. The male may get more aggressive toward her as the fry grow.

Djglenn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Edmonton alberta
I have three breeder 40 gallons coming this weekend, I'm going to leave the fry in the tank there in now and separate the male and female for a month let them settle down. That way she has time to rest and will spawn quickly again. What type of fish does your friend have? I am always looking for breeding project also, I get back in to the hobby on and off due to working out of town . If you want some fry I'm sure we can work out a trade

image.jpg

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I would leave the male and female alone in their current tank moving them could end up in her being killed. We have lost frmales the last one was our female La Cieba. They were fine and we moved them nd it was like he forgot who she was.
Our friend has Red Terrors, Lousellie, pure strain of Midas I know he has more but I am drawing a blank. Would love to do a trade sometime. If you would like to see what we have check out our web site it is bandi aquariums.

Djglenn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Edmonton alberta
If your friend is ever up for showing me his fish I would be very interested to see. You have a nice selection of fish forsale as well I don't need 3-400 fry. If your interested in having first grabs on these guys let me know. I maybe interested in parting with the pair as well.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
That sounds good. My wife informed me that Our friend also has a few RTM the best way to get a hold of him would be on Alberta Aquatica his name on there is Pikeaholic. His set up is out of this world.
We are coming to Edmonton on Tiesday maybe we could meet up then.

Djglenn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Edmonton alberta
I'll have to check my schedule for work, I work nights and some times 12 days straight the joys of being a DJ at a strip joint they never close lol otherwise sure sounds good if I am able to. RTM are hard to come by I've heard of another guy with RTM I'll have to ask what his name is maybe the same guy. Not to many of them out there that I know of but i don't know really any one into cichlids.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I had only heard of our friend and you having them and he may even have taken his to Big Al's. He and one of his friends seem to get along well with Mike at Big Al's. Do you know what you would want for yourRTM's. Cichlids is our main focus as out of our 140 tanks probably115 are cichlid tanks. One of my favorite right now are our Kelberi Peacock Bass. How big of tank do have your pair in now?
We have another uncommon cichlid er hsve managed to spawn a pair of Trimacs. If there is some way we could meet up give us a shout at 403 443 8251.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store