MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina

Actually the best of the best ways to breed the EBJD is to do the following:

EBJD(GP1) X WTJD(GP1) = 100% ebJD(GP1)

And Simultaneously:
EBJD(GP2) X WTJD(GP2) = 100% ebJD(GP2)

Then cross:
EBJD(GP1) X ebJD(GP2) = 50% EBJD(GP1+2) & 50% ebJD(GP1+2)
And Simultaneously:
EBJD(GP2) X ebJD(GP1) = 50% EBJD(GP2+1) & 50% ebJD(GP2+1)

The result... two breeding pairs of EBJD X ebJD with strong genetic diversity and highest possible yield of EBJD young (excluding the rare EBJD X EBJD with 100% nondeformed viable fry).

blue fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Maybe this will help. The darker mobrilliantlyy colored fish is the male. The more grey-blue fish is the female, but note that the lowe portion of the operculum is still more intense blue. But as usual, there are still no absolutes. Note the colorof same female about 4 months later Iin the POTM contest April 2015. Huge difference!!!
View attachment 1071930View attachment 1071931
I agree with shadowp, been breeding them for over 2 years and the females are less briallant than the males. That being said you still have to wait for the colors to develop with age. From my experience females are kind of rare. Good luck and try to bring in as much genetic diversity as possible.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Good luck and try to bring in as much genetic diversity as possible.
Working on that... see recent post in "post your female jack dempsey pictures"
and sorry, but the answer is no... I will not reveal how I paired them safely. There are actually about 250 fry still with them. The rest of about 600 have been used to bring dwarf puffers and dwarf neon blue rainbows into spawning condition. I plan on keeping 24 for breeding stock to pick a male from for my off-the-hook female EBJD

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I find the real problem with pairing JD's is actually female aggression. LOL My female is all ready too big. If I get a larger tank I might try again with a smaller male Jag.

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
That Larger Male x Smaller Female pairing can work. In my main pair, the male is 3x larger than the female.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store