ANGEL FISH FRY

bigbrad73

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
SC
I posted this in the angelfish section but didnt get a reply so I figured this might be the better place.
I have wiggler angelfish fry. I was wondering if I should take out the parents or not. A little history on them. This is their third batch. The first batch I pulled the fry and put them into an extra 10 gallon I had with a sponge filter. They made it to the point where they were kinda swimming and them died. Well 10 days later the parents (who live in a community tank) layed eggs again so I pulled the eggs and the parents and put them in the 10 gallon. Well everything was going great for a week until I woke up one morning and they were gone. Undoubtedly the parents ate them. Well 10 days later which was this weekend we have eggs again. What should I do? The kids and my wife are really getting discouraged because of this. I have always been the one who has kept fish and my wife hasn't cared much about them until they had babies. I constantly catch here just watching them. So any help will be appreciated

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally would have given the parents the chance to raise the wrigglers until they were free swimming, the adults do a pretty good job rearing the fry but have to learn this first. When you took out the fry what did you feed them?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Great newly hatched brine shrimp is great for fry, also First Bites by Hikari.

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
I would say leave them with the parents until there free swimming or right before take them out only leave the parents in the community tank feed 3-5 times a day small amounts of crushed flake or pellets and or frozen or live baby brine shrimp you should have a good amount survive don't do big water changes just small more frequent ones net debris up so there isn't much sitting in the tabk with them and you should be good

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
another thing to consider is making sure that there are enough hiding places. If suddenly the parents feel threatened by so many new faces looking in the tank --- they may just eat the fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store