Ask Me Anything REQUEST : ODDBALL !

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Hi Oddball!! :D
Have you ever tried to design and patent a piece of aquarium equipment?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I was using a gravel washer I made from solid PVC pipe and vinyl tubing for about 4 years before I saw them for sale in pet shops. Major missed opportunity. I also made a home made wet/dry filter from theories written in Dr. Spotte's manual and used it for nearly a decade before the 1st commercially available W/D filters hit the scene. Another missed opportunity. BTW, the media in my 1st W/D was a mix of lava rock and plastic army soldiers. That was waayyy before the development of bio-balls.

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Lol, plastic army soldiers! That's crazy, I figured you had to have some great ideas. Gravel vacs could have had you set! Dang it! :/

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
This was a very good idea. I'm glad you guys did this. I learned a little bit about Oddball's experience with fish, and I'm glad I did. Thanks!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Lol, plastic army soldiers! That's crazy, I figured you had to have some great ideas. Gravel vacs could have had you set! Dang it! :/
I purposely set up a shop display for my 20+lb flathead cat using over 30 gallons of Barrel-O-Monkey plastic pieces in the W/D and set it up so the filter could be seen next to the 450gal instead of behind it. It attracted some attention. Would have been more interesting, though, if the flathead was a bit more active than his usual 'I'm a rock' imitation.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
great read.

whats in your opinion the most intelligent fw fish and why?

favourite cichlid and why?

nastiest fish you have kept and why?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The 'smartest' fish I've kept was likely my asian aro (back in the days they were still legal). He always seemed to need to know what I was doing in 'his' fish room. He also could tell the difference between a bag of feeders and a bag of other than feeders by the difference in interest he displayed between the two. He also figured out that breaching his head from the surface led to krill or plankton treats so, he pulled a Mr Limpet on me fairly often.

My favorite cichlids are probably the Paretroplus. I like their graceful lines reminiscent of SW tangs.

The nastiest fish I've ever kept was Billy Bad-a**, my black shark (Morulius chrysophekadion). He was 2 feet of pure spite that never tolerated any fish as a tankmate. I consider him worse than my SHs and wolves due to him killing for pure spite and never killing for food.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I purposely set up a shop display for my 20+lb flathead cat using over 30 gallons of Barrel-O-Monkey plastic pieces in the W/D and set it up so the filter could be seen next to the 450gal instead of behind it. It attracted some attention. Would have been more interesting, though, if the flathead was a bit more active than his usual 'I'm a rock' imitation.
Lol! Barrel O Monkeys! :D
Do you have any "vintage fishkeeping" pictures? You ought to build a tank to resemble the oold days. Chrome trim, Barrel O Monkeys in the w/d, I think I'd run Army men myself lol :D What kind of fish were you keeping in 60s-70s FW? SW?? Cichlids?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
We kept a variety of fish. My dad kept a 2290 gal he built in the basement out of re-bar and concrete-filled cinder block. The glass was set into a steel frame and glassed into the window hole frame. The rest of the tank was fiberglassed. He kept TSNs and pacus in that tank (with the occasional LMB or pickerel we caught fishing). I had a 125 with polys and SAm lungfish. Another tank with discus and CLs. A 240 with a pair of E Eels. A SW tank with locally caught baby flounders, toad fish, and sea robins. I hatched out spider crabs in a 30gal. And, I had a 29gal with a Mediterranean octopus (same species I used to catch for dinner when we lived in France).

I never had many pics of the tanks. The camera was my dad's (back in the days of not touching dad's stuff). What few I had are either in my parent's albums or among the losses from my divorce. A lot of my friends took pics but, I never got any copies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store