MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I'm going with Asian RTC as well. Just so you know, they're super aggressive. They're one of the few catfish species that will kill for territorial reasons vs. trying to eat. Surprised no one mentioned that.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It surely does but the fish has been with me for 6 years and went from 2" to ~1' and through lots of smaller tanks and tank mates. When it was smaller, 3"-10", it did not bother any other tank mate in 100-150 gal tanks. I first noted its assertiveness in defending a relatively small territory at 1' size and ~3 years of age in a 1500 gal semi-natural pond. Even that was not vicious - the tank mates either stayed away from its area of estimated 2'-3' diameter semicircle or accelerated as they swam through his space and he would nudge them. No damage. No grabbing, no fights.

Now I am not saying that's the way they all are at all. That'd be silly. This is merely my only firsthand experience with a nemurus. I was expecting much worse, like what you quoted from other reputable sites. It has not realized with mine so far.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I guess you're right. I have an L200 pleco that I've had for 8 years now that will kill anything resembling a pleco that ends up in the tank. Just depends on the fish I guess.

I know any that I've seen in LFS tanks were housed alone lol. Never know till you try I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store