Dovii growth rate

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
I have a pair of 6-7inch fh's in a 40 breeder with a 5-6 inch dovii. Ik,ik the tank is way too small, in upgrading soon. I've had the dovii for 7 months now starting at 1 at most. Is this normal growth? Also the dovii gets bullied by the flowerhorns quite a bit, he doesn't get marks up but he gets chased . The female flowerhorn is rally the aggressor beleivw it or not, I was wondering if this all sounds normal and how long until my dovii really gets his dovii attitude and starts to fight back.

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
well it isn't 24/7, he definitely has some secure hiding spots. but I was wondering if i truly had to worry. ik it obviously isn't good, but do you think i should be too worried or should he be alright? ik it makes me sound like an idiot. Like "just get a bigger tank if u cant handle that then get different fish" but i am doing my best to get a bigger tank. If you have any temporary tips that would be great

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
well i actually had that for a bit, it worked well but was soo ugly that i decided to try some dithers, try to crowd the tank in all honestly just so they can't secure a territory so far it has worked well. I have 400 gph so filtration isnt a problem. right now i picked up 2 baby convicts and a baby firemouth. Just a cheap start in case it didn't work out. im thinking maybe a buttikoferi, a jag and some other things.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
put the divider and shape it like a triangle using part of the back glass and the whole of the side glass, would not look so bad

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Sometimes you have swallow your need for pretty appearances and do what's best for the fish. Him being stressed to hell all day won't help him grow.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Also what does your water change schedule look like? If you're not changing the water pretty often the high nitrates can also slow down growth.

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
what kind of divider is best do u guys think? i would like a glass one, but i can't find one for a 40 breeder. Also do you think the crowding idea might help?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store