African Tiger Fish

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hi Folks

I need to ask this question, 3 to 4 inch African tiger fish either vitatus or Goliath will it survive with bigger tank mates ?

In my tank I have 10 inch gar and two pike cichlids 4 and 5 and a Jag 6 inch? Would like to add a ATF but want to make an informed decision

Thanks

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Not even knowing the species of gar in the tank I can assure you that any 3-4" ATF will be food about as quickly as you can dump the bag in the tank. And, the jag is also a big risk. What size tank are these current fish in? and what species of pike/gar?

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Not even knowing the species of gar in the tank I can assure you that any 3-4" ATF will be food about as quickly as you can dump the bag in the tank. And, the jag is also a big risk. What size tank are these current fish in? and what species of pike/gar?
Tank is 240 and gar is a Florida Gar. Pikes are
One is crenicichla lenticulata and other is crenicihla lepidota

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Not a good idea at all...... potential feeders..... also when setting up a tank with small ATFs, they should be the APEX fish & central focus..... they can be very skittish and injure themselves......

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Unfortunately this just happened to me I got a 5" vittatus that was a feeder for my 7" payara

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
That ATF would be dead as soon as it hit the water, like others have said.

If you want an ATF, you must get it FIRST, build the tank around it, and once it is about a foot or so, start adding tankmates. They're very delicate and sensitive when young and are very easy to kill. And on top of that, they look just like baitfish. When they start to get bigger though, they begin to realize that they have weapons...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store