Treating Fish For ICK

Aeroh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2015
United Kingdom
I was never the one to check twice and now I do it three times. A while back I had gotten an ICK outbreak. I hadn't even thought about taking out the carbon from my filter until I began cleaning my aquarium. Until I realised I didn't change or take it out, it was too late and all my fish had died.

This was really frustrating and I had learned my lesson. Thanks for reading!

- Aeroh

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
So correct me if I'm wrong, the medicine you used was absorbed by the carbon, making the treatment ineffective.... so now when you treat for ich you check your system 3 times for carbon......correct?

Aeroh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2015
United Kingdom
So correct me if I'm wrong, the medicine you used was absorbed by the carbon, making the treatment ineffective.... so now when you treat for ich you check your system 3 times for carbon......correct?
Yes.

numbah84

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2011
Vacaville, CA
You really don't need medicine for ich in my opinon. I put my temp at 89 for 7 days and it cleared up perfectly!

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
You really don't need medicine for ich in my opinon. I put my temp at 89 for 7 days and it cleared up perfectly!
That's my go to method too, but I have encountered strong strains that have resisted very high temperatures as well; just something to note!

heartsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2015
I only use salt and crank up the heat, ich is gone in a week. But atm i have a blood parrot with ammonia poison, i put him in a 10 gl tank with no nitrate but he still stress, any1 know how to save him? I luv my bp so plz help....luv all my fish actually, dont want any to die

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
The 10g is too small. To help a fish with ammonia poisoning, you need to put them in perfectly clean water. No ammonia, no nitrites, as little nitrates as possible- preferably under 10. Do very frequent water changes if you have no other way to accomplish that.
Moving the fish around will only stress it more and make its problems worse.

heartsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2015
I put him in a clean tank with 100% new water, salt, prime added temp 86 for 2 days and now he back in the 75 gl flirting with other bp lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store