4600 gal converted above ground pool

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
The wonderful arizona sun was making this sucker heat up way too much. Plus the algae was getting INSANE, so I put up a sun shade. :)

Also added the 2 18" pacu and an 18" channel cat.

Currently working on a 55g drum filter. Just got the output working, so now need to work on the innards and backwash drain.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Learned a valuable lesson... Only use food grade or brand new barrels when making a barrel filter. The one I have was cleaned with bleach and caused a huge ammonia spike. Killed 6 goldfish and 1 female koi. She was 20", 9 pounds and ready to spawn. :(

IMAG4013.jpg

I'm now moving all my plumbing from the current barrel over to a food grade one that was used for apple cider and cleaned with water only. Still gonna let it soak with amquel+ for a couple days

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Fire up the oven for that 20 incher:

Get a clean pine board about 8" x 15" x 1" thick.
Take a nice size freshly caught carp and lay it on the board. Skin and Filet the carp into 2 thick strips. Do not spend much time deboning. The bone gives it more flavors.
Salt and oil the board generously with virgin olive oil.
Next lay the filets out evenly on the board.
Salt, and pepper both sides. I like to use sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
Now spread a generous amount of garlic butter and a lot of garlic salt on both sides.
Tabasco sauce and a little Ripple helps take out the fishy taste.
Add sliced and diced onions, green or red peppers, thinly slice mushrooms and tomatoes.
Sprinkle on a little parsley
Now take a fresh cut lemon and carefully squeeze out all the juice onto the carp and pine board.
Now is the time to add any other of your favorite ingredients.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Now take the pine board with the filets and put it in your preheated oven.
Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
When done carefully take the pine board and the carp out of the oven.
Throw the carp away and eat the board.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Turns out it wasn't bleach that killed the fish...It was car wash detergent. Wound up losing a dozen goldfish, 2 koi, pacu, and my 3 year old channel catfish that I grew out from an inch. :( did 90% water changes for a week and things are looking a bit better, but what a headache!!

Got a new food grade barrel that was previously used for wine which I'll be turning in to a filter. Just need the free time.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Dang! Sorry to hear, Man.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not on this level but been down that road. I've read that it's a good idea to clean and then seal with something to get around polluting water and still use equipment that otherwise would be harmful or unavailable. Really sorry you had that happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store