Need help! Running Apex controlled lights without Apex?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So I bought a used tank that came with some RAPID L.E.Ds. This thing was tied to an Apex but that was sold prior to the tank. I'm under the impression that the Apex dimmed these things with 0-10 Volts DC. I tested with a 9 Volt - OK. So I hook up an old PlayStation power supply cause it's the closest thing I can find to 10 volts. This thing does 8.5 V DC tested with a fluke. Plug it all in and it works, but boy does it get hot. Do LEDs run hot or am I doing something wrong here?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
They were not specifically made for an apex I'm 99% positive. The apex only controlled the lights dimming and going on and off. Did you purchase them without the factory plug?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I think "Rapid" = DIY LEDs. This light is a friggin monster. Steel heat sinks?!? It was someone's hand built custom DIY project.

The dimmer control was via 2 Ethernet plugs (these hooked to the Apex I guess). I didn't want to mess these wires up so I just snipped before them.

I'm not sure what could be wrong with the way it's hooked up, I just can't believe how hot it gets. Maybe this is normal and LEDs are just way brighter then I'm giving them credit for. I think there's 100 LEDs total......

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Rapid LEDs sells lights as well as kits to make your own-

http://www.rapidled.com/

Do you have any pics of the setup? It is concerning it gets that hot. I have a LED light above my tank, I can notice a bit of heat from it, though I do have two fans built into it. Part of the issue is many people do not run their LEDs at full strength, many times it ends up being way too much light.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I can grab some pics tonight. This thing has 3 fans built into it, 4 ballasts, and huge heatsinks. Thing weighs a ton. I turned it on and was messing with it and accidently put my hand on the underneath side where the LEDs are and wowsa! Hawt!

I've been trying to get an answer on this over at Reef Central but apparently they must be stumped too, either that or could care less, regardless, I guess I just use it and have a fire extinguisher ready?

IF this thing is legit and it just operates this hot then I'm guessing I'd NEED a chiller just to avoid this light making Moray soup out of my tank......

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
IMG_6235.JPG IMG_6236.JPG

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Wow, that light looks like a hot mess of wires. I wish I was able to give you a bit more help but all my LED setups I've purchased prebuilt. I looked into building a light for a while but not enough to have any idea what your issue with it could be. The guys over at RC were not able to help? I would think if anyone could it would be them.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
LEDs do create a lot of heat, but it sounds like you're overdriving them with the 8.5 volts. The heat sink should not get hotter than 100 degrees or so, it should not be able to burn your skin.

There's many ways to make a simple device to output a 0-10V analog output, just depends on your technical abilities.

Try driving them with 7V and see if it fixes the heat problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store