Need help!!

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
hey guys I'm going to ask some questions that are totally opinionated but I want as many opinions as possible please. Right now I have a 40 breeder ( soon to be bigger) with a pair of flowerhorn at 6-7 inches that get along, as well as a 7 inch dovii that gets chased by the flowerhorn a quite often. Ik ik, it sounds crazy to have these fish together in a small tank. However I'm trying to solve this problem because I've had a divider but I do my best to get around it. I am not sure if I should get rid of my fh pair and get a female dovii or let the fish settle out on their own which very well may end in death. I love my dovii and my male flowerhorn, I also love breeding these cichlids. I have thought about getting a seperate tank but in my situation that is quite a stretch. If I could get as many opinions on what to do it would be well appreciated, thanks.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
That dovii will be too big for that tank very soon. At least, he should too big for that tank very soon. So your solution for the dovii is simple. Buy a bigger tank or rehome him. That's not really my opinion as the 40 gallon will be an unsuitable home.
The flower horns might be at max size already. Those super hybrids can be a little unpredictable depending on where you got them from. But since they can still grow and I'm sure they're a little cramped in the 40, I'd look purchase something like a 55 or 75 for them.

No matter how you look at it you need to purchase a bigger tank.

stalefish83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
Eugene, OR
I suspect that one of your fish will kill the other before long. The dovii can get over 2 feet long. You'll be wanting to look for a tank that's at least 6 ft long (100+ gallons) for him long term.

If you want a breeding pair of dovii they will need their own tank. And a big one.

Those are all very aggressive fish and will not last long in that tank. Start checking craigslist for bigger tanks ;)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Dovii not a casual cichlid. they need a 180 min for a single, 240 min for a pair, and they will kill anything in the tank once older, they eat cichlids including jags in the wild. very large, very predatory cichlid.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
How about a Rubbermaid tub? Those are cheap.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Rehome the dovii if you are unable to house them in tank pops suggested. I would keep one fh in that 40 breeder

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
I guess , you will have to stretch if you need to have both the Dovii and the fh.
Once you get the female , the male might go easy on her or atleast provide lots of escape routes.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Not trying to be the stocking police but a dovii in a 40 breeder ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store