My Pack of Vittatus Tiger Fish.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
These guys are getting big! The two biggest are atleast 7-8" and thick. The two smallest guys are finally staring to bulk up aswell. I've also added some new tank mates. I'll try and upload some pics Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Very nice i got myself a VATF as well he's about 4+ inches now but he's grown a lot faster than what people seem to say... eats everything too pellets, krill, tilapia... pretty awesome even punks my bighead dorado from time to time (although usually gets chased away). He is keeping up in growth to the xingu pbass and intermedia pbass with him and occasionally will fight and even chase them most of the time. nothing serious but funny to see he's more aggressive than I thought and def not easily bullied. even comes to the front for food. Just hate that if i check on him at 3 am and I turn on the lights he spazzes out... gonna try and get more atf (no gatf tho) lol

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
Very nice i got myself a VATF as well he's about 4+ inches now but he's grown a lot faster than what people seem to say... eats everything too pellets, krill, tilapia... pretty awesome even punks my bighead dorado from time to time (although usually gets chased away). He is keeping up in growth to the xingu pbass and intermedia pbass with him and occasionally will fight and even chase them most of the time. nothing serious but funny to see he's more aggressive than I thought and def not easily bullied. even comes to the front for food. Just hate that if i check on him at 3 am and I turn on the lights he spazzes out... gonna try and get more atf (no gatf tho) lol
just be aware if you have more than one VATF they will fight. If this one is already pretty aggressive he will pick on the new ones. If it was me I'd just keep feeding him and grow him out as fast as he wants. I've had pbass with ATF before and it didn't work out well.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
just be aware if you have more than one VATF they will fight. If this one is already pretty aggressive he will pick on the new ones. If it was me I'd just keep feeding him and grow him out as fast as he wants. I've had pbass with ATF before and it didn't work out well.
Yep very aware of that... That's why i'm going to buy a group of 4 or more to add and move that guy and them all into a bigger tank when the time and if the time comes.... in groups of 5 or more consensus seems to be they do better.... Or I might just keep him alone probably will just have him be the sole atf. He isn't very aggressive per say but very hyper and if there's nothing to do he'll chase someone and head butt but no missing scales or split fins everyone looks perfect. If a bass tries to flare with him then that's a diff story. then he'll having a nipping contest and usually gets the last nip haha kinda wierd to explain a baby cichla and a baby hydrocynus sparring. but nothing serious no scales or split fins

For some reason you and some other people seem to have bad luck with your baby atf.... scomb, cichla, etc So to learn from your guy's mistakes I basically was very ready and expecting to have the vatf be very skittish and timid and hard to pellet train and grow slow and be easily eaten and bullied but it's been quite the opposite.... lovely fish now and then he'll show a nice rainbow sheen on him and at night gets red on his bottom lobe of his tail

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Here's the pics that I promised.

My stock as of right now is:

(4) 5-8" VATF
(3) 4" geophagus altifrons
(10) 3" clown loaches
(3) 3" indo datnoids
(1) 8" jardini Arowana
(1) 5" Flagtail
(1) 3" common Pleco
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
I'll try and get a feeding video up in the near future. The 4 Vittatus go nuts and don't let any of the other fish get to the hikari sticks, so I usually have to feed the rest of the fish later once the Vittatus are full.

Reactions: Supervee

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
As long as the ATF are top dog I think it could work. But I foresee problems with the Jar out growing others and start killing things. The Flagtail and Geo's are the slowest growers and will eventually get beat up. When the VATFs get to 8-10" they will become more aggressive and you will get fighting and a pecking order established. From then on the low man will be constantly picked on.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Snapped this pic of the 3rd biggest Vittatus. Thought it was cool. If you zoom in you can see his teeth.image.jpg

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Great looking setup and stock you've got yourself there those teeth are savage lol , what's your jardini been like for aggression so far ? Watch he doesn't flip out at 12" and write off half that stock I know the tigers have big teeth but jardini don't give up without a war

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store