Search results

1. V

"Pros and cons" experienced comments please

in my opinion you should stick to one type of coating don't complicate it with 2 many different chemicals I personally would use MAS epoxies just because I have had extensive experience with it. If you do go with a fiber/resin lay up I suggest you wet out ,use a thin mat .5 oz.first(once wet you...
  2. V

If you need glass / acrylic

Tempering*
  3. V

none of these are meant to be submerge there whole life span ..and most boat manufacture will tell you to seal the bottom if you plan on leaving it in the water for any length of time
  4. V

I have had bad experiences when top coating polyester with epoxies ( been in the fiberglass business professionally for nearly 26 years and have first hand experience mixing the types of resigns ) , I know all the literature says that epoxy sticks to polyester just fine..... only on well...
  5. V

why not just skip the polyester and use epoxy in the cloth, one less step
  6. V

Wet carpet

indeed
  7. V

If you need glass / acrylic

I am interested in temping glass, do you do that also?
  8. V

Wow alot of people have misconceptions about fiber glass. a Fiber glass does absorb water even when gel coated, gel it self if very pores , it is not able to spend it entire live span wet .b the chems used it are harmful to fish and take years to flash. c if you dont get the ratio resign to...
  9. V

MAS Epoxies are non blushing and is what I would use. http://www.masepoxies.com/ The problem with using either of ester family of resigns is they take years to fully cure (actually can take up to 25 to 30 years for them to completely cure out, sounds crazy don't it) and the flashing of the...
  10. V

Wet carpet

Disaster struck while I was out with my girl last night,was hoping for some quality snuggle time ( BUT). I run 2 hydro bubble makers in my 55 , some time during the past week the bracket for the 2 air intake tubes got knocked off the back of the tank, and sense I have them set on a timer to run...
  11. V

temper or not to temper

yes but the Tank I am planning is nearly 400 gallons, 4x yours in water , which is about 3250 lbs (water = 8.33 lbs if I remember correctly) and that is alot of pressure to put on a piece of 8ft glass. I do not know what the hydraulic pressure would be or even the equation to figure it out, but...
  12. V

temper or not to temper

Thank all for the input
  13. V

temper or not to temper

I was checking out glass prices in my area and the tempered glass would cost roughly $1600 @ 3/4 and I could purchase the acrylic to build the same size tank for just over half that cost....my question is everyone talks about scratching on the acrylic , are those on the out side of the tank and...
  14. V

What is your Day Job?

I work for a marina on the upper Mississippi River,Do fiberglass and gelcoat repairs, finish carpentry , cabinetry,Paint work, we also build our own line of house boats...I also help maintain the grounds
  15. V

temper or not to temper

I am planning a tank build, 96 in long x 24 in deep x 32 in tall , planning on 1/2 thick glass . I could use some in put on if I should have the glass tempered or not., there will be aluminum rims top and bottom with cross bracing every 24 in., which I can fabricate where I work .
  16. V

Hello MFK From Minnesota

My Name Is Michael, I have recently have returned to keeping fish after a 14 years away from it, a friend gave my a 55 gallon tank with all the equipment to get it up and running ( he up grade to a 75 gallon and didn't have room for both). I have had the tank up and running now for about a...
  17. V

Festae finally breeding!

Nice fish, I am very interested in this type, I personal have never seen one live in a tank but I have viewd alot of photos.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store