Search results

1. Kaiden

New to puppies...er I mean puffers! :)

Thanks, will do. I added a cup of salt in the sterilite and put an air pump in then tried the refractometer after about half an hour just to see. Either my eyes are getting old or those lines are waaaay too small haha. I'm getting a reading of either 1.002 or 1.003....hard to tell. All I'm sure...
  2. Kaiden

Great, thanks! I'm planning to do a 40%-50% water change after letting the water sit for 24h. Is it correct that for every 1 teaspoon salt per gallon, the salinity will raise by 0.001? My plan is to add 55 teaspoons of salt on the 27g container to raise my salinity to 1.001 SG. Sorry for all...
  3. Kaiden

Can I put the dissolved salt water directly to the tank even without heating it? Not sure how else I can make the temperature match with the tank.
  4. Kaiden

Thanks! And yup, I just actually bought a new sterilite tub to dissolve the salt in. Only thing is...the power head I bought hasn't come in yet. Is it okay if I just aerate it with an air pump overnight or is it best to use a power head to mix it? Also, is it safe to leave a heater inside a...
  5. Kaiden

Wouldn't tank mates that small normally end up being just snack? :( To be honest, I'm not too fond of dithers. I've had SDs that I ended up re-homing. I figured I'd give it a day or so and if the aggression gets bad, I'd return one. I would rather have one fat and happy puffer than two...
  6. Kaiden

Thinking of setting up a puffer tank...Some guidance please?

I actually did end up with two :) I posted some pics of them on the Puffer forum. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/new-to-puppies-er-i-mean-puffers.675490/ Do you think Puffer 2's color will improve once I start adding salt to the tank? Is he/she really an F8? Lol. I noticed a...
  7. Kaiden

Hi all! After about a week or so researching and a lot of help from folks here, I finally brought home my first puffers! I originally planned to only get one but the nice lady at my LFS gave me two for free since I gave them my SDs/Red Hook. They're settling in nicely on my 55 gallon tank. I...
  8. Kaiden

Gotcha. Thanks, Yuki! That could be my next fish project...:D For now I've opted to go with Figure 8 Puffers since they stay smaller and slightly easier to maintain. I'll post pics on a separate thread since this one is on the wrong forum to begin with. Aside from learning how to estimate how...
  9. Kaiden

Sorry for the double post. I couldn't edit my previous post any longer. :oops: I was just about to order a refractometer and marine salt but I recalled my question about filtration and decor so I figured I'd wait until I know if I need to purchase more things. Can someone please advice? :)...
  10. Kaiden

To be honest, marine tanks have always interested me but with my schedule...I doubt I can properly maintain one. I also don't have a space for a sump, which most people recommend using in saltwater tanks. All my tanks are just running HOBs and canisters. Since a GSP would eventually need a full...
  11. Kaiden

Poly update (Warning: Pic heavy)

My big girl finally decided to show her presence so I took some shots. She's almost as tough to see as my two Buetti despite her size. @FishNCash, I'm liking the poly + angelfish combo. I've had no issues since putting them together and having an upper and bottom swimmers fills out the tank...
  12. Kaiden

Thanks, guys! :)
  13. Kaiden

Thinking of setting up a puffer tank...

Oops...I just realized that I posted my thread on the wrong forum. I thought I was under Puffers. :oops::oops::oops: I wish I could move it here but since not, hope you guys don't mind if I just link you to it instead of double posting it...
  14. Kaiden

Awesome! Thanks for the info, @Fat Homer. Glad to know I can avoid teeth trimming with the right diet. That was my biggest worry in keeping a puffer. I'm leaning more towards the GSP, at this point, because of their size compared to an F8 (though I love the pattern on F8!). Would I need to...
  15. Kaiden

Hi all! I've been meaning to post back here months ago to thank you guys for your initial help in getting me started with my poly collection but never got the chance to. Sooo as both an apology and thanks (especially to Dr. B), here are a bunch of photos of my current group. When I first got...
  16. Kaiden

Hi all, I've always been interested in getting a puffer fish but the thought of going brackish sort of puts me off. Lately though I'm really getting the itch to change the setup on one of my 55 gallons :D So I'm planning on re-homing my silver dollars since they are too skittish for my taste. I...
  17. Kaiden

55 gallon poly tank?

Haha...I already have multiple tanks. Currently at 3. Running out of space in the basement lol. Compared to the Palmas complex, how are the Del, Moke and Retro's typical grow/behavior? My current 3 are not very outgoing either but thankfully they take pellets. They all like hiding in the...
  18. Kaiden

55 gallon poly tank?

Awesome, thanks again! Haha very tempting to get more. I've been thinking of getting a Moke now too after seeing a pic of it. But I think I've been reading that it's a very slow grower and more picky with food. Or maybe a Retro too....but I honestly can't see the difference between it and a Polli.
  19. Kaiden

New polys!

Wetspot is a good place to get polys. Their stock has nice markings. I got a Palmas and Buetti from them recently. Seeing your new Moke makes me want to get one as well :D How big was the Buetti you got if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking to order another one and 2 Polli. Torn between...
  20. Kaiden

55 gallon poly tank?

I'm planning on moving the Oscar and/or SDs when my little polys aren't a risk of getting eaten by my bigger Palmas anymore. Especially the SDs....they're actually worse than my Oscar in feeding. The only fish I don't have another tank for is the BGK once it hits adult size. Of course...there's...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store