Search results

1. J

Where to buy acrylic in DFW

I get my acrylic material from Allied Plastic Supply down in Dallas. You might also try talking to Mark (melev) over on DFWMAS since he's a local acrylic fabricator.
  2. J

120 gal acrylic RR tank, sump, canisters, accessories PU Chicago

Just sent you a PM for another thread. (free bump)
  3. J

360 gal acrylic setup MOTIVATED 6 x 4 x 2 PU CHICAGO play it again SAM

Are you interested in selling just the mag float? Which model is it?
  4. J

FS- Huge Aquariums- Columbus, OH- Shipping and Pick-Up

I've seen that picture before^. Edit, found it. Screen shot taken today from http://giantaquariums.com/2013/03/ Nice looking tank and stand by the OP though.
  5. J

Sock/clarity question

Makes sense. The two 6" gibbiceps do their best, but it doesn't float around. The guy that suggested this is a cichlid guy.
  6. J

Sock/clarity question

I have a 75 gallon planted tank with a poret foam block acting as the filter in a sump. I'm not disappointed with my water clarity, but I'm always game for experimenting for possible improvements. I'm in the process of setting up a 300, and want to play around a bit on a smaller scale first...
  7. J

FS 2500 Gallon tank in Las Vegas PU 25,000.00

I think the top end of a used glass tank 55 gallons or under should be $1/gallon. Mind you I've seen them go for more (and less), but with the number of big box stores that offer $1/gallon sales a couple times per year on a tank that size I'm not sure why I would pay that for a used one. It...
  8. J

300 gallon stand question

^Fair enough. Wrapping an extra sheet of ply around the top/bottom, or using 2x6s in the core more than doubles the system. I may try this out in my garage with short legs, measure it full and empty, then adjust as needed. I don't however think a piece of steel angle is nearly as strong as...
  9. J

^I haven't used the woodbin calculator before, but I can't configure my setup above in it, namely due to the second sheet of plywood. The second sheet is what makes this work. I've assumed E=1.3x10^6 psi for stiffness, and δ = 5 q L4 / E I 384 for deflection.
  10. J

The tank is 24" front to back, 30" tall and made of 3/4" acrylic. This will also be set up in my garage for a bit while I'm finishing some things in my house so if it's grossly underbuilt I'll find out in a safer place. As stated above, two columns will be installed in the basement directly...
  11. J

To make sure I'm understanding this: Floor>Plywood>Shim>4x4 leg. How thick do you think the plywood needs to be to sufficiently distribute the 700-800 pounds I'm planning on having on each leg? Following that, suggestions on hiding the fact that one end isn't touching the floor?
  12. J

I'm getting ready to make a stand for a 300 I am buffing out. Tank is 96x24x30. Top of the stand will be 4x 2x4s with 3/4 plywood on the top and bottom of those (almost like a torsion table). One 4x4 in each corner, a 2x4 (maybe 2x6) rim around the bottom, and a diagonal or two in the back...
  13. J

Tank leaked 50 gallons on carpet smell is bad

This isn't directly applicable to your situation, but I figure I'm adding it here in case it helps anyone else. I came home once from a weekend out of town to find an inch of water in my 55, and a lot of water in the carpet of my second floor apartment. The first floor under me fortunately was...
  14. J

Anubias flower?

I've had my anubias barteri bloom several times fully submerged, and it lasts several weeks. As shown in the OP's photo it looks like a miniature peace lily.
  15. J

240 gallon acrylic aquarium indianapolis pick up

Interested, but need to see a price.
  16. J

FS, 550 gallon setup, St. Charles, IL, pick up only

I'm interested in pictures, don't care if it is full or empty in the pics.
  17. J

ADA substrate, when is it worth it?

I haven't tried the ADA product, mostly due to cost. I have had very good luck with dirt mixed w/clay and some Osmocote Plus pellets. It's a bit messy at the beginning, but quickly ceases to be an issue. I recently uprooted a large sword (couldn't get my hand around the base, 30 inch leaves)...
  18. J

Co2 refill time?

As long as it is consistent and working for you I wouldn't feel the need to change it. CO2 is a liquid in your tank and the pressure will change with temperature. The vapor pressure for CO2 at 50*F is right around 650 PSI, so unless your CO2 tank is colder than that, you can just use that as...
  19. J

help....how to propagate amazon sword plant

I usually just use scissors, but you really won't hurt the mother. Once the swords have roots you can remove and plant them. In my higher light tank once my sword got established it shot off one of those runners weekly. Each runner turned to 10-50 nodes, and each node generally had three...
  20. J

FS 375 Gal 96 x 30 x 30 OR 96 x 36 x 24 PU CHICAGO

Do they have to stay as sets? Don't need the filters/UV and don't know anything about your lights.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store