Search results

1. J

Need an Eel recommended

I have a 3 foot zebra in with lionfish and he is fantastic. I highly recommend a zebra over the snowflake. The snowflake is common and it has nothing on the zebra. When I feed him large rock crabs from our nearby ocean you can hear him crushing the shell with his mighty jaws from anywhere in...
  2. J

Are sharks considered fish?

Yes sharks are fish and I would say that the largest fish in the world would be the whale shark. But hey i'm sure there are lots of things way down there we never even seen yet.
  3. J

Pistol shrimp and others

When it comes to shrimp i've done alot of different mixing and matching in the past with great success. If your tank is only a 20 gallon then I wouldn't put a coral banded and a pistol shrimp together since they are both pig headed. In a 75 gallon I once had 5 peppermint shrimp, 2 cleaner...
  4. J

Can somebody lay out a basic way to setup a sw tank?

http://www.masns.ca/forum/showthread.php?tid=923
  5. J

Snowflake eels

Well with the right attitude and understanding of marine fish keeping i'm sure you will have a great saltwater setup one day. Good luck.
  6. J

Snowflake eels

Good decision. Your understanding of the animals requirments shows that you are making an effort to have a stable marine enviroment and offer your marine pets the proper conditions they deserve. Congratulations on a big step on your behalf in the marine hobby.
  7. J

Snowflake eels

Your 20 gallon is much too small for a snowflake eel unless it's only around 6" long and you are upgrading within a couple months. If you cant support your eel then stick with the clowns. Rule of thumb when dealing with fish that need larger systems is that if you cant get the proper size tank...
  8. J

Finding Nemo

:popcorn: Mmmmm... Well :popcorn: crunch, crunch.... I doubt that jamming a piece of crap filter like the one used in the movie would make any difference in the tank except for a little water flow so "no" the algae would not have :popcorn: Crunch, crunch.. caused the tank to have an over...
  9. J

Noob with Noob SW Tank with Noob Questions!

Let the cycle even out on it's own. If you want to put some fish in there to test the water then I recommend mollies. Don't forget to do your water tests. Make sure all your live rock is in the tank before you add any living things besides the mollie because when you add live rock it screwes...
  10. J

sweet noob question

Yes it will grow on the glass but one thing that looks very nice is when you let the back pane of glass get covered in the coraline and then corals will even grow off it. I seen a tank with yellow polyps covering the whole back pane of glass and it was beautyfull. As long as you pass your...
  11. J

new cinnamon clown

Ummm... Well... You do know that the salt level is the key point to maintain correctly to keep a marine tank??? your salt level is even more important to be correct when dealing with inverts. Most invert death comes from people who don't keep a constant salt level. I suggest getting a...
  12. J

newb questions on 1st setup

Well the first thing to know is that you "NEED" surface aggitation. You have to have some source of water flow stirring up the surface of the water or you will get a skum film on the surface of the water. An aquaclear 20 should do the trick. One of the golden rules when it comes to marine...
  13. J

new cinnamon clown

With clowns you don't have to worrie about what sex your clown is to be able to add another. If you have a male and you add another male one will become dominant and turn female. The female will then grow larger. If the clown you have now is smaller than the one you can add then the new one...
  14. J

new cinnamon clown

Frozen is my choice of foods for all my marine tanks. Flakes arn't on the menue in the wild. It's good to feed a variety of foods to keep your fish healthy and disease resistant. I recommend adding another clown of the same species since clowns like to be paired up together. But no more...
  15. J

'Freshwater" Moray

You don't measure your salt by doing the math when you mix it. You need to get a hydrometer, or even better a refractometer to measure your salt content.
  16. J

new SW help

I hope this helps: http://www.masns.ca/forum/showthread.php?tid=923
  17. J

Can i get some real info on a morish idol?

Yes i'm sorry to say that you clearly have never done any research on keeping marine fish. Your 40 gallon would be big enough to keep a dwarf angle but no bigger fish than that. Your fish will all die soon. I'm sorry to be so blunt but it's true. Please, Please return or sell your fish...
  18. J

got some new fish

As long as your fish load stays the same and you have a good skimmer your fish should be fine in that system without an upgrade. The only thing you might have to change is your rock work. You will probably need to add more so they can disdinguish their teritories better.
  19. J

Best hydrometer

Oh, well then I suppose.
  20. J

Purple carpets

I take it your talking about an anemone? Well it would depend on the space you have for the anemone if it were to travel. The carpet anemones are the worst for fish killing and coral stinging.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store