Search results

1. Rafini

Most Personable Cichlid

Dwarf Pike cichlids. I had a small Crenicichla Regani that would follow me around, stalk behind things etc. awesome fish!
  2. Rafini

Funny pic of Charlie and my daughter :P

GG's have such an interesting personality. The one I had years ago acted like a huge betta.
  3. Rafini

30"x30"x16" 62 Gallon Cube

That's an awesome dimension for a tank. You get a lot of really interesting behavior and activity with more of an open space as opposed to the typical long and thin rectangle we see in the hobby. I used to have a 60"L x 30"W x 24"H and with that much space the smaller and medium sized fish act...
  4. Rafini

Lake Malawi cichlids and non-cichlids

What a beautiful set up! I feel that both sides of the argument are valid, There is nothing wrong with keeping biotope specific or geographically accurate species. In fact it can make for a beautiful display piece, and for some people that is what this hobby is about, recreating nature. an...
  5. Rafini

I kept them with placidochromis. a few deep water haps and 12 Milomo's Really laid back tank
  6. Rafini

I'd like to point out that I am a huge fan of biotopes, If I had a bunch of tanks I'd do all kinds of different biotope setups. For now I only have the one tank set up. Mixing the non cichlids in really only works when the Mbuna are young, this way you have a higher chance of success. I think...
  7. Rafini

Howdy, Over the years I have always kept some kind of dither fish with african cichlids or out of necessity had to move some fish from another tank temporarily. I have always had success and in some cases long term. I'm not sure if it is just certain forums/communities that are very purist vs...
  8. Rafini

Anyone Interesting in your family tree?

I found something else interesting regarding that branch of my family tree today, My great great great grandfathers niece was an important member of the french resistance who was tortured and killed by the Gestapo. She was also a golfer and there is a trophy in her name still. Once you pull at...
  9. Rafini

Official Cyprinids photo thread!!!!!

I had the exact same experience. Got a group of filaments and as soon as they hit 4" they systematically wiped out plants. I`ll give them this though, 8 filament barbs did as much damage in 2 weeks as one 5" abramite headstander did in one day. Stay clear of the headstander if you have plants...
  10. Rafini

Awesome stories here guys, Saint sebald? thats cool! I have St. Arnoulf of Metz in my family tree. but this is WAY back. On my moms side I got some earls and aristocracy, they descended from Queen Adeliza of England. She was briefly married to I believe one of the king richards. Through her...
  11. Rafini

Hey Backfromthedead, That's awesome! You can literally show the coin to someone and be like, this dude is my ancestor. That's sweet!
  12. Rafini

my 75 gallon thread. (barbs?)

My research indicates they grow to 7", are sociable as juvies but solitary as adults. So your group would probably end up as one or two large aggressive individuals. There are a lot of cool barbs that would work well though, Do you want a planted tank? I highly recommend Dawkinsia Filamentosa...
  13. Rafini

yeah everyone in Europe has some ties back to aristocracy. And through them you get to royalty very easily. I went to the 1500's on one side of my tree and the chancellor to king Henry VIII is my direct ancestor, This is hundreds of years ago though so I'm sure there are many people also related...
  14. Rafini

Howdy MFK, My brother had twins about a year ago and it was at this point that he began making a family tree. Until we started this we didn't really know much past the last few generations. He enlisted my help and we managed to find out a few interesting things. On my fathers side I am...
  15. Rafini

really kidnapping fish....

If anyone finds themselves in the Philippines and hungry for some Clarias, It was called 'Hito' I had it in Baguio but i'm sure its available elsewhere. After eating it I had to do some research to figure out what kind of catfish it was lol. I live in Canada and it is 100% illegal to take...
  16. Rafini

really kidnapping fish....

if you find Clarias species just eat them. I had some in the Philippines and it has chicken-like skin and flesh. I was surprised by how good they taste.
  17. Rafini

Used 125 gal

Looks great Duanes! Have you considered a brackish setup? might be interesting!
  18. Rafini

150 gallon ideas

I had a nice group of filament barbs in one tank for about 2 years, moved them to another planted tank and they completely decimated all the plants. So in my experience, they left the plants they grew up around alone but decided to eat all the plants they considered to be a new addition. They...
  19. Rafini

What is the coolest fish you have seen at petsmart or petco

For me I found it depends which store you go to. In Red Deer AB I saw emerald brochis and Peters Elephantnose. Here in Calgary I have seen various Knifefish, Ctenopoma acutirostre, Mastecambelus Aral, Aequidens Diodema, Striped Leporinus and some 3" True Parrot cichlid Hoplarchus psittacus that...
  20. Rafini

New Severum

No problem, I don’t check here often these days so it was by chance that I saw your thread. if they are a male and female head shaking and clearing a nesting site whilst bullying a tank mate I’d say odds are pretty high they are pairing up. If they lay eggs do not be surprised if they eat the...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store