Search results

1. C

Best silicone for gluing glass to pond armor?

Dang, I can't find that specific of a statistic :P
  2. C

Best silicone for gluing glass to pond armor?

My ~450ish gallon fish tank is almost about to be complete. Fiberglassing it now. Then applying pond armor after I sand it I guess? Just doing every bit of extra I can. I know Pond Shield isn't necessary after glassing it. Buuuut, fiberglass can crack, and Pond Shield is less likely to crack...
  3. C

Cichlids which can take cooler temps - if need be?

I might look into uruguyan crenicichla... not sure yet. I may just get some sort of catfish or something....
  4. C

We lost power during our freezes a few times in Tx. I could tend to adding air to the water, and mildly add warm warm water or heat bricks - but my new place has an electric oven :( last place I lived had a gas oven so I could keep my indoor tanks warm with heated rocks.
  5. C

A little over half way completed with my 450g tank build. Reading a lot into which fish to get. My tank will be in my garage. The tank will be insulated - buuuuut... I read online, that if something were to happen to my heaters, that Peacock Bass could die QUICKLY in winter - because they...
  6. C

Help with fiberglassing? Pictures of progress!

Okay, my box is built. I'm about to cut my glass hole today. I already cut my rounded edges. Debating on fiberglassing interior corners, OR doing exterior bracing with interior concrete board. I want to do fiberglassing instead, because it may look neater (less bulky exterior). But I don't...
  7. C

Garage kept ~450g plywood tank - TREATED or UNTREATED plywood for build?

I GOT MY WOOD!!!!!! It's finally happening! The rest of it is going to fall into place. The hardest part I'm worried about, is the levelness of my floor in my garage. I need to find something to set my stand legs on that might take fractions of an inch of imperfections out of the equation...
  8. C

And I tried the search feature but it's not working?
  9. C

Should the plywood be treated or nontreated? It will stay in a GARAGE. ALSO there will be fiberrock or cement board/hardibacker in between the PondArmor and the wood. Let me know! Thanks! I'm looking at tons of exterior bracing with 2x4s as shown on the Pond Armor website guides. Insulation...
  10. C

No middle leg supports for 400g tank.

Wrapping up my plywood tank build. Stands next, but where I REALLY want to put my tank/stand - there's a height difference in concrete. BUT - the 2 ends of the stands where the legs go - are even. I'm thinking of a stand like this...
  11. C

Fiberglassing questions

My epoxy is pond Armor... I'll look into the tape idea too, thanks!
  12. C

Fiberglassing questions

Well anyone got a thread they can refer me to for detailed fiberglassing information? From what I'm seeing - not many fiberglass the entire thing.
  13. C

Fiberglassing questions

I've been talked into fiberglassing - along with using pond shield that I already purchased. I have NOT bought the fiberglassing stuff yet. It's the only thing keeping from doing this project... So here's some questions. Tank size: 84long x 28 tall x 40 wide. Glass size: 72x24 #1: How many...
  14. C

Few quick plywood build questions:

I got filtration (LED algae scrubber system). I've got glass, of all sizes. Just sitting waiting to be used. I have SOME lumber. (So I'm steps ahead on SOME of the costs). Just don't have my plywood yet. And I'm not spending any more money till I roll up a decent cost on fiberglassing an...
  15. C

How much was all of that fiberglass?
  16. C

Ugh, I just read some stupid article about impact tests on plywood - even with sealers on it. I might just be fiberglassing the whole tank for F sake... That or I can't have rocks in my tank - this guy nicked holes in his sealer by just hitting it with a screwdriver I believe. I assume the...
  17. C

See this guy drilled through the inside plywood - into exterior 2x4s. Is that okay? Is it recommended NOT to do that? Also, what do I fill the screw holes with? Just some epoxy or resin or something? I'm using Pond Armor, I've already purchased 2 kits (it's a 2 part system, so it came with 4...
  18. C

Well see, this guy has minimal external framing: Just 2 2x4s in the middle on the back, and a top and bottom brace with a WHOLE 'LOTTA Gorilla Glue. My tank dimension will be: Length: 84" (7ft) Width: 40" Height: 28". Glass Dimensions: 24"x72" Is that enough framing? Just 2 in the back to...
  19. C

I might be buying my lumber today and starting my build. *My first question is: If I do exterior bracing with 2x4s - do I drill THROUGH the inside of the plywood into the 2x4s? OR, do I build just a shell around the plywood tank, with NO screws going into the plywood? Sort of just butt it up...
  20. C

thick enough???

I doubt that even 1/2 is going to give you an issue. The weak spot - from what I'm reading, wouldn't be the glass, even if it were like 3/8s. The weak spot in sealing and structure would be your issue. At 3ft tall, it's evidently MORE than double the pressure than at 2ft tall. So the base of...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store