Search results

1. hmt321

Dr Tims One and Only = Didn't Work for me

When i decided to get back into aquariums in 04 or 05 (i cant remember the year, im getting old), i ran a fishless cycel on a 75 gal tank. It went about 2 months with no noticeable change in ammonia (was was doing weekly 25% water changes and re dosing) My LFS had some biospria, i bought two...
  2. hmt321

outside of the tank water heater

i have used them for about 5 years, no problems
  3. hmt321

critique my sump design

I have been reading up on filtration for a planned 240 gallon fresh water tank ill get when i remodel my basement next year. The tank will be built in wall with a a 30" closet behind it. here is my sump idea: sump is a 40 gall breeder, 36x18x18 My idea is that the water will have to flow...
  4. hmt321

outside of the tank water heater

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=HD08103&child=HD08103&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=HD08103&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuqC2BRDVxMSnpa-mhZoBEiQAFta8wQ6yH4St8fa8iWHWiKB8KvULo8qrs9416a535eOtUicaAsPN8P8HAQ When I had tropical fish in my...
  5. hmt321

Hinged glass top

I made a top like this for my 75 gal. A solid piece across the back and I split the front into 2 lids. I would recommend using 1/2" glass for the back piece, make it stiff. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/57871-custom-silicone-hinged-glass-top.html
  6. hmt321

new oscar

Keep checking your water, make sure that your ammonia is good
  7. hmt321

Havin an ammonia issue.....

Any fluctuations in ph?
  8. hmt321

sump question

i am in the planning stages for a basement renovation and i will be setting up a 240 gal tank. I talked to a guy at my LFS today. He said that to get the flow rate that i want that i should go for a sump. The basment is going to be where my family hangs out and watches movies, plays games...
  9. hmt321

In line heater for 1" hose

i just found this
  10. hmt321

In line heater for 1" hose

I have a 75 gal and a 125 gal tank, i run multiple canister filters with inline heaters like this one...
  11. hmt321

FX6 Hose Upgrade

when i plumbed my canisters i used vinyl hose with the fiberglass mesh imbedded, you have to put the end in boiling water to soften it enough to slip it on the fitting, it seems to resist kinking and flattening better than typical vinyl hose. it is available at local ACE hardware, lowes, homedepot
  12. hmt321

Tank shape question

thanks for the reply's ill be going with the wide tank, ill build the stand so the bottom of the tank sits at 36" above the floor.
  13. hmt321

Tank shape question

We are in the planning stages of renovating our basement, i have the go ahead from the wife to put in two, large tanks on one wall. the tanks will be built in wall with aprox 36" behind them. I cant go longer than 6'. In one tank ill keep SA cichlids, choclate, tbar, severums, ect. the other...
  14. hmt321

What's up with my green sunfish?

I had a shadow bass that developed that, in almost the same spot. After approximately 6 weeks it stopped eating and died. When I examined it, the area had almost calcified and was brittle. The fish was 4-5 years old, the war mouth in the tank never developed it, and lived until about a year...
  15. hmt321

40 gal planted set up, specific questions

I have a 40 gal breeder that i am going to convert to a mineralized substrate planted tank. First some info I added a stone background to the tank (it is some sort of slate, I silicone it to the back of the tank on the inside a few months ago) here is a thread about the DIY background...
  16. hmt321

Stone background

I am about a week in, no signs of any sort of toxicity. I had a minor bacteria bloom, lasted about 2 days, then cleared up. Unless I something goes wrong or there are any questions I will probably not post again.
  17. hmt321

drilling my tanks

I have drilled all my tanks but 1 It is very easy: go slow continually spray water on it I like to use canister filters, I drill holes for 2 1" bulkheads and I like to use 1.5" overflows for my drip system, that way I can convert it to a sump if I ever wanted to.
  18. hmt321

Stone background

Fish and plants have been in the tank for about 30 hours. Fish is acting normal, he even ate this morning. I will post again in a few weeks and give an update, but it looks like this stuff works out as a background. If I had to do it over again, I would put a bevel on the tile so that it can...
  19. hmt321

Quickest Cheapest Easiest Divider. Quick!!!!!

Egg crate, it will be with the drop ceiling materials at Lowes, or HD. If your fish are smaller than about 1" they my be able to squeeze through it.
  20. hmt321

Stone background

I would think that any type of termite treatment would be toxic to fish. To be clear what I installed is natural stone, it looks to be slate. I plumbed the tank and filled it up, here is final result. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rutitih5spywhim/2013-05-25%2016.03.25.jpg I will let the water...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store