Search results

1. L

how do these work?

too small get a 55 and make one yourself 3rd ones ok but $$$
  2. L

filtration,filtration,filtration

whats the tank going to be made of ? wet/dry sumps are the way to go maintance is a breeze 5 mins everyweek and 1/2 of thats walking to a sink you dont need to know much just copy someone elses
  3. L

DSB and Plenum sumps reducing Nitrates

I found the same sort of thing some sources say DSB and Plenums work about the same but DSB are easier and work a little better other sources don’t even acknowledge Plenums work I don’t doubt your method why would I (don’t know it) When people say there’s alot of ways...
  4. L

your talking salt iam thinking fresh why not have a DSB in the tank i know plenty of reefkeepers who have 5" of layered substrate that doesnt get touched we are talking anaerobic bacteria clogged is not going to happen in a sump or tank i will move or breakdown the tank before that...
  5. L

I read what’s available on the web and I don’t have a problem with it becoming a sink (thats what i want) and I am sure as hell not going to clean it and don’t know why I would It takes some time to establish the microbial community i am not screwing it up I haven’t...
  6. L

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://jjgeisler.com/reeftank/sump_refugium-55.gif&imgrefurl=http://jjgeisler.com/reeftank/55g_sump-refugium2.htm&h=323&w=765&sz=54&hl=en&start=15&um=1&tbnid=Q5XF10Ll_ks57M:&tbnh=60&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dplenum%2Bsump%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den...
  7. L

sorta the same but below the sand or substrate theres a open space i have seen some using old UGFs not hooked up of course most use eggcrates with a fine screen to hold up sand
  8. L

Deep Sand Beds and Plenum sumps have been used to reduce nitrates with a good deal of success by saltwater keepers Why no interest from freshwater keepers? :confused: Everybody is concerned about nitrates and hoping to jump on any and every magic bullet in a can well this seem pretty...
  9. L

To Sell or Not to Sell

i would do some research on the genetics of the coloration like whats the chance you could get a white offspring i would bet its pretty low if its small chance and you live in the same world i do where money matters sell it
  10. L

glass cages

Easy, their not Wal-Mart And having visited their shop they don’t need to go to another country they just bring the workers here :) You can find bad reviews about any tank manufacture but few have prices as low as glasscages and if you could afford higher priced tanks you wouldn’t be...
  11. L

Captive breeding of RARE fish ?????????????

i only breed stuff i can sell to LFS and their not impressed by rare stuff i would like to sell to other keepers but in my area bettas are what the people like :confused: oh and not big on shipping fish to much money and risk
  12. L

glass cages

for the price they cant be beat i had a 135 from them no problems paid $250 used it for about a year and sold it for $400:) friend has a custom 200 36" tall reef tank no problems either
  13. L

Is there really a difference in the UV filter???

i have a tetra 5 watt pond U.V. ($20 on ebay) i put it on my 240 water looks great but this besting about them is disease prevention treating a big tank with meds will drain your fishkeeping budget :(
  14. L

wetdry turnover

pump size is the easy ? you have to figure out a sump design / drilled or overflows / and what to put in it
  15. L

wetdry turnover

i am a dumbass i see tanks less than 100gal and i think oh thats a sump :nilly:
  16. L

wetdry turnover

not sure what you mean but as long as you have a closed loop head doesnt matter
  17. L

wetdry turnover

Canisters are siphons head doesn’t come into play some canisters require a minimum height of 24" I burned one up running it next to a sump I understand the interest in sump GPH to tank size But turnover rate of the actual sump makes little sense If you have 55gal sump during operation...
  18. L

aerobic nitrate removal !!!!

whats best is this stuff came out around 1998 i guess 9 years doesnt turn BS into anything but old BS
  19. L

aerobic nitrate removal !!!!

the web site states the bacteria is just for the instant cycle the tri based carbon is the nitrate remover 5 years if you use a 10 micron prefilter i doubt it will work any different than standard carbon/zeolite combo the 10 micron pre filter no doubt helps with extending the life of it
  20. L

Pistol Shrimp Vid

they might be rare but a LFS sells them i saw one blast a cleaner crab you can hear "pop" when they do it
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store