Search results

1. S

Channel Cat

I would definitely second that comment! I Caught a 12 lb blue and learned the "dont lip it" lesson at the same time! Took my father and his k-bar 5 min to free my thumb...Nice catch regardless!
  2. S

pics of some of my past catches

I know I'm a few months late on this ID, but I'd stick it in the Sciaenidae, which would include many of the fish you other folks mentioned already (good eyes!). After taking a closer look I believe it to be in the Isopisthus genus (Common name silver weakfish). Of course with out seeing the...
  3. S

Preserving fish

I usually soak the specimen in a formalin solution for 2 weeks or so, then into alcohol. I was told that this step is necessary to preserve the bone, where as straight alcohol will dissolve bone, and therefore deform your specimen. I believe it was my college ichthy prof a few years ago who told...
  4. S

Breeding of Live Foods for Monster Fish

Growing artemia can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. Keep in mind though that artemia aren't very nutritious at all stages of their life cycle, and there is also intra-strain variability in nutrition as well, so basically do not rely on artemia alone to feed your fish.
  5. S

Vitamins

Quantities differ from species to species, however these vitamins are generally used for maximum growth in common aquaculture fishes. Thiamin Riboflavin Pyridoxine Pantothenic Acid Niacin Folic Acid B12 Inositol Cholin Biotin Ascorbic acid A, D, E, and K Human vitamins that...
  6. S

What's with the names?

People do not name new species after themselves! This isn't to say it hasn't happened, but I don't know of anyone in recent history that has. New species are named after other people quite often, take Hubbs for example, google 'hubbsi' and you will get tons of fish with that specific epithet...
  7. S

I did it... Eel ID PLEASE!!!! PLEASE - ODDBALL?

Is it possible that the anal fin is present and is fused with the dorsal and caudal to form one contiguous fin? Or is it just not present at all? How far does the jaw run? back of the eye, middle of the eye etc... Does the bottom jaw extend beyond the upper? Or vise versa?
  8. S

13" mystery Fish? ID?

I doubt it is a river redhorse, strictly based on native range.
  9. S

13" mystery Fish? ID?

Ok it is class time real quick, do me a favor, count the number of dorsal rays, the ribs that keep the dorsal fin erect. If one of the rays splits or branches, it only counts as one, so count from where the fin meets the body. Also count the number of scales around the caudal peduncle, this will...
  10. S

13" mystery Fish? ID?

I'd second the nuptial tubercles, they are found in a number of families, but this is in the catostomidae if I had to guess. First thing that came to mind was the red horse. Maybe a Moxostoma?
  11. S

Fish Farming?

working on my masters in the subject. In fact I have a test tomorrow on cryopreservation, sperm morphology and creation of YY super males and indirect hormonal control.
  12. S

LEPORINUS FASCIATUS FASCIATUS

I have one that isn't aggressive in the slightest (about 6" now). It does eat algae, however prefers fresh veggies like peas, any live plant it can chew and does absolutely nothing for keeping algae down. From what I have read though they can be aggressive, it must be the Ritalin i dose once a week.
  13. S

HPG axis of Poecilia??

Any of you fish nerds know anything about hormonal control of vitellogenesis in the Poecilia?? If not first hand do you know any papers or articles?? I have to write a paper on this and all my research has been dead-end...I know the hypothalamic-Pituitary-Gonadal (HPG) Axis of marine finfish...
  14. S

how in the world????

Im no physicist but the first thing that came to mind was adiabatic cooling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process
  15. S

IF ITS IN THE OCEAN ITS IN SOME RIVER SOMEWHERE

There are no freshwater Ballistidae (triggers) but there are fw representatives of the Tetraodontiformes. Pipe fishes and seahorses are very closely related, they are in the same family, different subfamilies, and of course different genera. For comparison, orangutans and humans are also in the...
  16. S

IF ITS IN THE OCEAN ITS IN SOME RIVER SOMEWHERE

I think you may be correct to say many SW fish orders have BW or FW representatives, but once you start narrowing down to families you are going to lose that argument. For example, the order Beloniformes has FW representatives in the Family Belonidae (i.e. FW needle fishes) however the family...
  17. S

Endangered fish...

You can release into the wild as long as steps are taken into account to prevent disease or parasite contamination. However genetic diversity tends to be what stops release of farm raised fishes. We have a preserved short nose sturgeon that we received from a farm in SC(died naturally). It was...
  18. S

Fundulus question

Im not sure about the entire family, however I know F. heteroclitus is an egg layer. Which species do you have?
  19. S

How long can fish live out of water?

Some semionotiformes can go days outside of water. I had a run in with Lepisosteus osseus, the long nose gar, that went 24+ hours stuck in a mud bank. (long story :)) When african lungfish estivate, they record is 7 years out of water!
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store