Search results

1. S

NEW to planted tanks. Hairgrass

i have kept both before in my other tanks and was breading Bristles and swapping babies for fish food and a local fish shop. I have no problems keeping these fish just new to the planted side on a fresh aquarium with gravel.
  2. S

NEW to planted tanks. Hairgrass

Hi all. I've set up a small aquarium for my son of 8. We have only gravel in it and after letting it cycle for around two weeks I got him some micro swords that are going well. He seen some dwarf hairgrass the other day and wanted it as well so I got some of that as well. The hairgrass has been...
  3. S

DIY filter from old canister filter

This is the pump im thinking of using and the filter next to the tank. only a small pump as don't need lots of flow
  4. S

not the unit but you get it. i have a small power head i was going to use and have the canister sitting next to the tank to reduce the pressure on seals. I think the canister will be taller than the tank
  5. S

Hi all. it's been a long time since I've posted. I set up a small 1ft tank the other day for my young son and have some plants in there at the moment. on a walk we found a used 2212 with the lead cut off and I garbed it for the taps. I was thinking of using a small power head on the input house...
  6. S

planting out a com tank

Hi all. Ive lost touch with this site over the last few years. We had 2 kids and my tanks have suffered. I have only my 4fter going and have lost most of my fish. I'm now wanting to setup a planeted tank with a native australian fish a murry cod. I'm thinking some fin val around the back and...
  7. S

Remote deep sand bed for freshwater?

My three canisters are in parallel not in series. And yes there are double taps for easy disconnect reconnect. I am not shore if i will have one or multiple in-feed and out-feed pipes. easier to draw one. My fish bridge will be made out of 25-mm conduit. This has worked in the past. There...
  8. S

Remote deep sand bed for freshwater?

Hears what i have been thinking of doing. My main tank is 4ft and holds around 200lts I have a lond #ft tank (unknowl what capacity) for a RDSB I think i will have some plants and snails and will try to get some worms going I will also use this to breed brissel nose cats as my main tank...
  9. S

Changing in filration, Critisim needed.

the reasn for the vertical compartments is so the water has to pass throught the bio media and cannot bypass it. In your design if the water is higher then the bio media then it has the chance to bypass your bio media. You can also get dead spots in your bio media. good luck and give it a try
  10. S

DIY Sand Vac--NOT PYTHON

Hi mate I have had a vac as you have explained store brought. Was from a cheep asian producer. Worked good and consisted of just a air lift tube with a "T" turned 90deg with a sock on the end. The top of the air lift went above the water line and the heavy waist past to the sock. Worked well as...
  11. S

Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

would running the scrubber lights at night be more effecant then when the tank lights are on, As there is a larger amount of co2 in the water when the lights are turned off in the main tank.
  12. S

clearest water possible, what do i need

I would go to the hardware store and get a in-line water filter that is designed for household use and use some pvc fitting to place it in-line with your canister and place a micron cartridge in it. Get a selection of sizes and see how they go. It will need cleaning regally at first but after...
  13. S

Starting my first DIY W/D, suggestions needed and welcome

nice mate. looks like it will be running very shortly.:headbang2
  14. S

yes if you think it is running to fast enlarge the vertical pipe so there is a larger opening and a larger strainer. Looking good
  15. S

Nice setup. I like what you have done with the bio tower. I would add a partion in the sump to keep at least a small amount of water under the bio tower incase you loose water for some reasion. Add bubblers to this area too. If your flow at the overflow is to fast for young fish add a reducer to...
  16. S

DIY Coil Denitrator

Any updates?
  17. S

DIY Coil Denitrator

thanks mate it's my number 2 after MFK:headbang2
  18. S

DIY Coil Denitrator

The type of meter used is a ORP meter and the best range to run the system is between -200 to -250mV. Here is the link http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303571&highlight=denitrator a lot of good reading in this link from a every informed man. Enjoy
  19. S

DIY Coil Denitrator

the best idea is to use a valve on the intake side of the denitrator so there is little to no pressure in the system. If you regulate flow on the out feed side you can get over pressurization and blow the unit open. I have read in another forum about these units and they recommended the use of a...
  20. S

DIY Overflow

can you give us more details about your setup please. nice setup
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store