Search results

1. V

bala shark tank mates?

He was not the first. Over the ten years I had him, he has shared the tank with a number of fish. He was never picked on, nor did he chase other fish. Perfect fish mate....
  2. V

bala shark tank mates?

I have a 10 year old Bala that shares a 150g tank with non- aggressive African chiclids, large frontosas, 5 large clown loaches, and a couple large silver dollars. Everyone gets along great.
  3. V

Good tank dividers

I use this to keep my Fossie and Titanium Flowerhorn apart I filled it with sand before I glued the end caps on.
  4. V

How many oscars are on this forum?

I got 2 so we are at 65. BTW - The oscar is one of a fish store's best fresh water fish. They sell tons to inexperienced fish keepers along with a 10G tank, knowing they will be back buying a larger tank, accessories, and large quantities of food. They are cute, grow fast, are hardy, eat...
  5. V

I enjoy my tanks more when I am away from them? Strange but true? Shocking details!

You may be suffering from Limpet syndrome. Be careful, that's a life changing affliction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sItfoiWpnb8
  6. V

NLS Cichasoma vs. NLS?

I already used up a bucket of the 3mm Large Fish formula. I had a few reluctant NLS eater fish that forced me into feed them (and other fish in the tanks) the corn soaked in fish oil brand foods (you know the brands I am referring to) in addition to NLS. When the bucket was used up, I bought a...
  7. V

NLS Cichasoma vs. NLS?

RD. I have been feeding my fish NLS for the past five years. Just an hour ago, I received my first jar (300g 3mm) of the Cichlasoma formula and tried feeding it to the two fish (Titanium Flowerhorn and one of two Oscars) who refuse to eat the Thera + A (3mm 2270g bucket) formula. The good...
  8. V

Post pics of your oscars here!

Thanks. I was taking my time searching multiple LFS' for one high-quality Oscar. I found the red Oscar in a brightly lite tank (scared to death) up in the back corner of the tank. I immediately decided that he was the "one". When I lifted the lid of the tank to get him to move so I could...
  9. V

Post pics of your oscars here!

I picked up these two cuties this past weekend. They are 1 /1/2" long.
  10. V

how to separate fish

They are 1" OD PVC tubes. Before I glued the end caps on I filled the tubes with sand (tapping along the tubes to pack in as much sand as possible). The divider is very heavy, and even without gravel over the legs, barely moves when large fish are charging into it (something my Titanium...
  11. V

how to separate fish

Here's the separator I made for my 125G. There is about 1/4" gap around the sides, so it makes no contact with the glass.
  12. V

Least favorite fish? I'll go first.

Over the 45+ years I have kept fresh-water fish; some of the hydrids have been my favorites. Currently my most intelligent fish with the best personality is my Titanium Flowerhorn. My second best fish (intelligence, personality, and looks) is my Red-Spotted Gold Severum. Third best is my BP...
  13. V

Now how can you not like a BP....lol. I have one as a center-piece fish in one of my tanks. Lots of personality. She has been ruling the tank for two years. When she gets mad, she rams her tank mates. It is funny to watch and no harm is done to the other fish.
  14. V

I agree. I have a spotted Raphael that I got from my sister. I had to break one of my favorite ceramic ornaments apart as he got stuck in it. I removed all the hiding places for a few days and all he did was swim around trying to jam himself in any hole he could find. I finally gave in and...
  15. V

Clown loach Vs Arowna !

I have five CLs and they occasional swarm all over the BP. They do no damage, and I think the BP actually enjoys it. I happen to catch the frenzy one day with my camera. The BP turns on her side while this is going on. Very strange to see.
  16. V

Small chip in glass....is it safe?

There was an 8 ft. tank in our LFS that had a number of large chips and big air bubbles in the seams. It looked so unsafe I was afraid to walk in front of it. The tank was there for at least five years without incident. Here is a picture I took of the koi (someone wanted a picture on another...
  17. V

Busted Aquarium.....What a mess

Yeah back in our time the tanks came with their own stand. I could place a stainless steel tank on broken up rocks and the tank would not fail. But the tanks and I have changed over time and now I use 1" close-cell foam strips under all my tanks. I had one of those 6ft 60G tanks from the early...
  18. V

If you look at your first picture, the tank to the left appears to have styrofoam under it. I think a lot of people think that styrofoam is bad because it pushes up on the glass bottom. However, on a plastic trimmed glass tank, it only makes contact with the plastic trim around the perimeter...
  19. V

The tank stand you used from Petco is a perimeter support stand. If you have to shim it, you need a full length shim. Here is a picture of a stand that I had to shim about an 1 inch on one side to compensate for the water runoff slope of my concrete basement floor.
  20. V

I've seen this set up from a post of yours a couple years ago; the tank appears to be only 12" wide. You can get away with supporting a narrow 6' tank on the ends because the pressure from the water volume is much lower than a standard 18-30" width. You could easily support a 12 ft long...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store