Search results

1. Umbra

Two HOBs and a canister filter?

In a vacuum, I prefer multiple HOB if possible vs canister for a lot of the reasons mentioned above. In the end they both accomplish the same tasks using more/less the same materials, just in different configurations. For me, ease of maintenance is a huge part of keeping me consistent with...
  2. Umbra

My black wolf fish (hoplias curupira) video in 4K

Beautiful wolf!
  3. Umbra

Lebiasina feeding frenzy

Despite my love (obsession?) with these fish, they've given me so many headaches and cost me a pretty decent sum of money. They are like Exodon on steroids - despite being shoaling fish, they are extremely rough on tankmates and have a legendary hatred for each other. Most importers don't like...
  4. Umbra

Brycinus nurse

Kept a single specimen many years ago in a 55 mixed community with ctenopoma, a few random neotropical cichlids and some loaches. Behaved like most small to mid sized schooling characins (Chalceus, Astyanax etc), it would hang near the outflow of the aquaclear and periodically patrol the upper...
  5. Umbra

Anguilla marmorata

Monthly update time! Eels are growing, smallest specimen has been separated from the rest and is doing well in a small community tank, can hopefully reintroduce with the rest if the growth rate picks up. The rest of the eels are growing with the largest closing in on 5". Those big specimens are...
  6. Umbra

can help what with this eel behavior?

It sounds strange but some fish are just weird - I have a Gymnallabes typus that refuses to hide and instead sits at one of the front corners of the tank completely out in the open. It literally does not move until I put food in the tank at which point it it gorges itself, returns to its corner...
  7. Umbra

Freshwater EEL

Definitely not A. australis (or any shortfinned eel), take a look where the dorsal fin starts relative to the pectoral fins/head - definitely a species of longfin eel. A. reinhardtii is very infrequently offered for sale outside of Australia and Japan relative to A. marmorata, not to mention...
  8. Umbra

Anguilla marmorata

Here's a small updated feeding video of these guys. Despite what the video shows they can actually quite be picky with some of them turning their noses up at various other offerings including tiger/brine/mysis shrimp, silversides, tilapia etc. Chopped nightcrawlers seem to be the only...
  9. Umbra

Erythrinus sp. Orange

This wolf has short fins with only a very slightly extended dorsal, much more similar to Hoplerythrinus than regular Erythrinus. It is also quite active, tends to shoal and squabble with the large Lebiasina I have in there with it. When I received it as a juvenile it was almost entirely a light...
  10. Umbra

Erythrinus sp. Orange

I have an orange Erythrinus I received last year - collection locale was Rio Amaya. This photo doesn't really do it justice, the body is an olive green with a fire orange lower half and an iridescent orange sheen on the dorsal surface. Excuse the glass, it's a very old tank and has a ton of...
  11. Umbra

Gulper catfish trio, ~7"

That wouldn't explain the thiamine deficiency in the Great Lakes population in particular that subsist primarily on alewife versus other piscivorous populations that don't have this issue when consuming a larger variety of fish. Could it be possible that it's present in in different species of...
  12. Umbra

Gulper catfish trio, ~7"

I know you've mentioned that you're feeding herring - apparently herring, anchovies and related fish contain thiaminase, enough to the point that vitamin B deficiencies have been noted in salmonid populations in the Baltic that feed primarily on herring and alewife consuming populations in the...
  13. Umbra

Freshwater EEL

If it's a male it'll stay "small", they top out somewhere between 2-3 feet. Still long lived though, potentially well over 20 years.
  14. Umbra

Freshwater EEL

Agreed, based on your location it's most likely Anguilla marmorata.
  15. Umbra

Freshwater EEL

Looks like Anguilla marmorata or bengalensis
  16. Umbra

Mini versions of US native fish?

Pickerel - Luciocephalus aura Bass - Coreoperca kawamebari Sunfish - blue spotted sunfish Trout - Barilius sp, Raiamas sp
  17. Umbra

Anguilla marmorata

This is my second round with these guys, bought some a couple years ago and they all died within a couple days of each other after a heavy feeding of frozen bloodworms - I'm guessing constipation since they all died with noticeably full bellies. This batch came from the same place (Taiwan) at...
  18. Umbra

Anguilla bengalensis bengalensis aka Bangles mottled eel or Indian mottled eel

Damn that sucks, sorry to hear that you lost it. They aren't the fastest growing fish, fed an appropriate amount as juveniles they grow about 6-8" per year and slow down as they get larger. Like morays, they can be moody and go on hunger strikes which certainly doesn't help the growth rate...
  19. Umbra

Why haven't Coldwater species have been popularized yet?

Not sure about the rest of Canada but in Ontario you can buy aquacultured fish from registered aquaculture facilities to keep in artificial waters and aquariums. Below is the relevant regulation that prohibits the purchase/sale of native fish without a license: O. Reg. 664/98: FISH LICENSING...
  20. Umbra

Your favorite tankbuster miniatures

Closest thing appearance wise to mini umbee would maybe be istlanum, got at least some of the attitude as well. I think the miniatures in question should look and at least somewhat behave similarly, like I don't think I'd ever look at a hatchet fish as a miniature dat or a pleco as a miniature...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store