Search results

1. N

Brine shrimp die as soon as they hatch. Any ideas?

I tried two different providers of brine shrimp eggs, SF bay brand and Vpoint. They usually hatch into the first stage, but they are always dead and never move. They just end up rotting and my fry are left starving to death. I tried tap water, dechlorinated tap water, distilled water, cold...
  2. N

Elodea turning light then dying. Help!

I don't know. But I have a small chunk that is in my betta bowl, at room temp, same temp as the others, and its very dark green and growing healthily. I don't know why that is thriving but the rest are dying
  3. N

Elodea turning light then dying. Help!

I got some elodea because it's supposed to be hardy and grow fast. I keep it at room temp (usually 60s sometimes warmer) and some of the plants have been turning light, and gradually rotting and dying. I have some in my betta containers-it seems like they do OK unless they are covered by a dark...
  4. N

Why haven't Coldwater species have been popularized yet?

That's indeed unfortunate. Many fascist governments criminalize harmless behavior like this. If you have a license and legally catch the fish, it's shouldn't be the government's business what you do with the fish after-that fish is yours. "Teeth" to make criminals out of someone enjoying the...
  5. N

What are some cool non-cichlid hybrids?

I know lots of cichlids, rtcxtsn etc. What are some more uncommon hybrid fish that are cool?
  6. N

Help me remove ick-cure stain from my countertop before my mom kills me

I had a bottle of API ick cure which is apparently "benzaldehyde green" and the bottle leaked and I can't get it off my countertop! Tried dishwater liquid and alcohol and scrubbed, nothing! Any recommendations?
  7. N

Planaria like spots on fish fins? What is this?

Do I just apply this directly into the aquarium? Any experiences/recommendations?
  8. N

Here's the best picture I can get
  9. N

I have a wild caught bluegill and they have small stringlike things all over their fins. It definitely does not look like ick. Any idea what this stuff is?
  10. N

Small quiet filters

I got one and it has a pretty loud annoying sound from the impeller. Maybe bad luck? Any other suggestions? Dead quiet preferred.
  11. N

Small quiet filters

I got a 10g aquarium near my bed and I need something that's real quiet. Submersible would be a plus, don't need a very powerful one or one with lots of water movement. Any recommendations?
  12. N

Cleaning an old jacuzzi to stock with fish

Thanks for the replies. Also any ideas to keep it clean? I don't have the money for a large pump/filter and will be keeping some very sturdy fish regardless, but perhaps there are some kind of snails/coldwater fish that can help keep it tidy? It usually gets very dirty from all the sticks and...
  13. N

Cleaning an old jacuzzi to stock with fish

I have an old jacuzzi, about 10x6x6 feet and I want to stock it with a bunch of cool freshwater fish. However I need ideas on how to clean the damn thing. There's a lot of muddy water at the bottom and the damn pump does not work (stupid thing drains water from the top), I can't figure the best...
  14. N

Why are motoro stingrays illegal in California? (serious question)

Can't wait for them to start banning more fish in MN and other states too. I guess that's what it's going to take for people to wake up.
  15. N

You have concerns? You live in Minnesota, not California. I live in California and have zero concerns about seeing motoros pop up in local reservoirs. You know nothing about the climate or ecology of the state. You did not give a valid reason as to why they are banned, you just said because the...
  16. N

Profitable fish to breed?

It's tough to raise fish for a profit. My two cents: 1. You have to learn how to efficiently raise the fish 2. Keep track of all costs and profits 3. Find people who are willing to buy it. You may or may not make a strict profit, but sometimes it's nice to just breed fish for fun and be able...
  17. N

You haven't responded to a single one of my arguments and haven't read my previous posts. If you're gonna keep doing nothing but regurgitating the same meaningless statements, there is no reason for you to continue posting in this thread.
  18. N

Piranha caught in South FLA .. This wont help the cause...

+100000000000 +1 +1 +1 Good points. Don't bother arguing with people like him-they know nothing of biology/ecology and instead of reason use emotion. Cats especially being endothermic do 100x the damage that pythons have done. Yet people don't care about cats because they are "cute and...
  19. N

hello

Welcome to MFK! Try posting in the section here: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?187-General-Salt Surprised the mods haven't moved this yet. Enjoy your stay!
  20. N

Yes. The answer is ALWAYS more legal intervention into our lives. Land of the free, home of the regulations. So basically the awful DFG incorrectly believes that FW rays pose a threat to wildlife, when they actually don't. Just because the government says something, doesn't mean it's right...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store