Search results

1. Toby_H

Pond Filter for Aquarium

Around 20 years ago I bought a BIoForce pond filter. It was used in a number of indoor applications. I was happy with it in each one. It was originally put on a 300 Gal Rubbermaid stock tank. This tank and filter were both on the floor. Later it was used on a number of aquariums. In each...
  2. Toby_H

Filter turn over and water circulation.

You've already covered the associated concerns. Which would be surface agitation for oxygenation and bottom agitation to move waste to the filter. As these are both covered through other means, the extra filtration is simply extra filtration, so move or modify your intake and/or return as...
  3. Toby_H

How much weight can glass take

When I'm putting a lot of rock in a tank, or using rock that has sharp edges, I sometimes put corrugated plastic on the bottom glass, then stack the rock, then add substrate. Back in the day we did the same with egg crate / light diffuser...
  4. Toby_H

200 gal predatory stocking ideas

Oscar's are open water fish and most of the others mentioned are bottom dwelling. But in a 2' deep aquarium there's not a lot of difference in those 2 areas. Jack dempsy - I've kept them with Oscar's many times. They're a good mix. Jaguar - These generally don't play well with others and will...
  5. Toby_H

Joint order ... Between states??

My local fish club does this all the time. We are on a state line (NC/SC). It ships to one person's house and then he brings it to the monthly meeting. Its a great opportunity for all involved. That said... 700 miles makes it ridiculous...
  6. Toby_H

Raising ph with crushed coral???

I understand the basics of the science but lack experience in this. I have a question/concern that I think will help the Original Poster here. If the tap water has a PH of 7, And the buffered tank water has a PH of 8... Will this cause PH fluctuation at every water change? What % water change...
  7. Toby_H

Need help, lost at this point… nitrites and expensive fish

Think of Beneficial Bacteria as a colony of critters and your bio-waste as their food. As the available food increases, the colony increases. As the available food decreases, the colony decreases. But each change takes time. If you start out with a "mature" filter, that means you have a...
  8. Toby_H

Need help, lost at this point… nitrites and expensive fish

Agree with above. My assumption would be, you cycled it to handle a much lower biology. Then you increased the stock and the beneficial bacteria hasn't had a chance to catch up.
  9. Toby_H

90+ gallons on the floor

I'm shopping for a house right now. I strongly prefer slabs, for aquarium related reasons. That said I've made an offer on a crawlspace and likely will again. And I plan to put a 750 gal stock tank in the house. Id certainly add joists, columns and concrete footings. But thats because its 650...
  10. Toby_H

90+ gallons on the floor

Overall, your home looks well built and the materials are still in good shape. With those things being true, rarely is it a risk to put a 90 gal tank against a load bearing wall. With larger tanks, say 180 gal+, its best to put it against an outside wall, crossing the floor joists (as opposed...
  11. Toby_H

I have a 1000 gallon pool pond but my sump broke and now I'm using two 1000l filters could I use a pond filter

I used a Bio-Force pressurized pond filter for a 300 gal stock tank for years. Worked great, never leaked. Most of those years it was in the house. If I was in the market for a pond fter, I'd start my research there.
  12. Toby_H

Electric blue jack dempsey

I havent kept Blue Dempseys in 10 years. So I'm not sure if they've gotten worse since then. Something we should remember with all our fish purchases... A fish that produces 400 offspring per brood, throws a ton of genetic diversity across the group. This is an evolutionary trait that helps...
  13. Toby_H

Electric blue jack dempsey

Females grow slower than males. Which is common but stands out more in a slow growing morph. If a fish has a problem, such as developing Popeye, their system will spend energy on healing rather than growing. Yes I've seen individual that didn't grow, and its usually bad news. Sorry. I would...
  14. Toby_H

What can I stock this with indoors?

Merry Christmas. This should open up your options.
  15. Toby_H

Red Devil Cichlid

Consider getting him a girlfriend. They're even more interesting as a pair. If you do, add some shelters that she can fit in that he cannot. And have a divider ready if he's too rough on her. Consider adding a couple convicts. Put PVC pipe as tunnels under a rock bed so they can escape from...
  16. Toby_H

My EBJD

Two healthy Blue Dempseys can hatch eggs and get wiggles into swimmers. But I've never heard of anyone having any survive more than a few weeks. I've made several pairs, with each partner being a proven breeder with other (non Blue) partners. I'm convinced Blue x Blue breeding cannot be...
  17. Toby_H

My EBJD

I've grown out and bred a bunch of them. My profile pic is a pair of them. I've raised plenty that kept up with regular Dempseys in grown and aggression. They are on average smaller, slower growing and weaker. But a good one can compete with regulars. Based on what I / we learned back then...
  18. Toby_H

My EBJD

Sexy little guy. These guys used to be a major passion of mine. I was sad when I got back into the hobby and found them so infrequently kept. Glad to see them your tank!
  19. Toby_H

Minimum tank height requirements

Most of the large bottom dwelling fish youre considering live in the bottom of deep areas in nature. My concern would be them jumping out in search of deeper waters. So if you proceed be sure to make a solid top. Personally, that tank has Geo, Apisto & Ram written all over it...
  20. Toby_H

I am no longer a Monster Fish keeper.

I feel your pain. Once upon a time I had a 1,200 Gallon fishroom plus several 100+ gallon tanks in the main part of the house. Today I have a 40 Gal with an Apisto and some guppies...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store